Catcher Pick Off - Bases Loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2013
1B and 3b should be going hard to cover their bags and the OFs hustling to back up the bases after EVERY pitch expecting a potential pick off throw. That's just sound, fundamental play and it's not like they have anything else to do on a ball not put in play. A signal and acknoweledgement shouldn't be necessary and, unless subtle, can alert the offensive team. If its not a play that you're willing to try in a meaningless scrimmage, then you're just wasting any practice time you spend working on it

Well said. This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this one. Great discussion! I loves these boards for this kind of good stuff.

Jan 3, 2014
Lively debate. In this case the catcher made a textbook snap throw that 1B simply missed. It skipped off the tip of her glove. She tried to get the tag going before she had the ball. I've done it too. I'm in agreement that we need to let the kids make plays. But, my baseball career ended a long time ago in HS, and I'm very new to softball.

Last edited:
May 23, 2013
I love snap throws by catchers. However, everybody has to be on the same page. Catchers usually have a signal they use before they execute the play to make sure the infielders aren't surprised. The pitcher also should know so she can throw a pitch the catcher can handle to help the catcher execute the play. Don't get discouraged.

Jun 11, 2013
For those who think it's a good play to throw down, would it make any difference if the count were 0-2 or if it were 1st and 3rd versus bases loaded?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
For those who think it's a good play to throw down, would it make any difference if the count were 0-2 or if it were 1st and 3rd versus bases loaded?

0-2 would likely change my thinking. Just 1st & 3rd, probably not. Bases loaded 3-1 you are 1 pitch from walking in the winning run.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

I'm assuming that a pitcher that's walked the bases full in the 8th inning is running out of gas, so I probably would make the throw 0-2 - worst case at 16U or 18U really should be just a wasted throw and catch. First and third, I visit the mound, discuss the weather and post-game plans, walk the batter, and bring in Mo to close it out!

There's more we'd really need to consider i.e., where in the order, strength of each batter, each batters' results v. pitcher, relief options, strength of defense, whether the 1B's head is in the game, what's at stake etc.

waukeshahurricanes

Hurricanes Island
Sep 12, 2011
You are correct that was 3 years ago and no that catcher a back up I might add, was not back the following year.. I may be too conservative at times 2 of the 3 runs did score finding good catching is hard around here...I agree at 3-1 if the pitcher is out of gas or losing it you might as well give it a shot after further thought...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG