Catcher coverage ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
On my 10u rec team, the determination on whether to make a throw attempt to 3rd actually depends on the on-field personnel. If a strong player is there, the catcher has the green light to make the throw, but if a not-so-strong player is there, no throw.

The only time we'd have the catcher chasing the runner all the way back would be if R2 was occupying 3rd and then we'd take the easy out without having to make a throw.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Definitly not for 2nd, nothing wrong with a few steps, but the catcher shouldn't be too far past the batting box.

For third, possibly, as long as the first base is behind them. Catcher should be taking two to three steps to see what the runner is doing, and then chuck it.

I assume you don't take 2 or 3 running steps before you pitch the ball, so why do you want the catcher to do that and then make a telegraphed off-balance throw? Catcher can typically can make a runner retreat to 3rd with just a look or a look and quick cock of the arm. If the runner just freezes and is far off the bag, the catcher throws. If the runner is frozen but not far off the bag, the ball simply gets thrown back to the P. Runner on 2B only (or 1B and 2B), C similarly looks/cocks to freeze or retreat the runner. If the runner retreats or isn't far off the bag, ball goes back to the P. If the runner freezes far off the bag (i.e, near midway), catcher should SPRINT not jog directly at the runner to force them to commit and then make the throw for the easy out. I don't mind my catcher's running if there's a good chance to get an out, but other than that it's a wasted effort at best and an errant off-balance throw at worst. Throwing behind an unfrozen runner far off 2B is a gift of 3B.

Apr 5, 2011
I once suggested a play scenario to a coach, for a situation that our girls got beat up on repeatedly. His reply was "thanks, if I ever need any advice on how to watch a game, i'll come to you.."
He saw a team use this play later in the season, and low and behold, we were practicing it the next week. I guess the moral is, be very careful how you word things to the coach(es). Hope you have better luck than I did. :)

Your right .... one has to treed lightly. I've been a coach in one capacity or another for 15 seasons. I never minded a conversation from someone as long as it was outside of a game or practice unless it involved safety. Today I'm trying to back out and I keep running into two types; The typical daddy coach who is living through their child or the paid for coach who is only about the money and their career. Very few are about the player first.

Thanks!

Apr 1, 2010
My daughter used to love running runners back to third, but it does make for a long, tiring day.

I can't remember her ever running toward second; she would just look them back/freeze them before throwing back to the pitcher. If she looks at them and they aren't stopping, she's throwing to third, not running anywhere, LOL. I think the pitcher should be easily able to beat the runner with a throw to third, especially after the runner has lost her momentum.

What she's doing now with leads off 3rd is throwing back to the pitcher right away (and setting up to receive a quick throwback for the tag) unless the runner is about halfway to home. If that's the case, the catcher waits until the first baseman comes up to cover the plate and then runs her back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck