Casa Grande LL official steal $2,000

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is near me.

I can't understand people that steal these funds and I can't understand why anyone would think that they can get away with this stuff.

Hopefully, he didn't have access to any cash.

CASA GRANDE, Ariz. (AP) - A Casa Grande Little League board member has been arrested for theft.

The Pinal County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday that 34-year-old Joe Angel Chavarria of Casa Grande was booked into the Pinal County Adult Detention Center.

Chavarria is accused of using a Casa Grande Little League credit card to purchase several items for his personal use.

Among the items, pants, drinks, food, gas, shirts and baseball gloves. He also is alleged to have stolen cash.

Chavarria faces felony charges including theft and fraudulent use of a credit card.

The Sheriff's Office says the total loss to the Casa Grande Little League is nearly $2,000.

Jun 22, 2008
Was earlier this year or late last year an assignor of officials in the Chandler/Gilbert area for Little League Softball didnt pay officials to the tune of nearly $40,000.00. Last I heard the AG's office was investigating.

Nov 8, 2010
This is near me.

I can't understand people that steal these funds and I can't understand why anyone would think that they can get away with this stuff.

Hopefully, he didn't have access to any cash.

CASA GRANDE, Ariz. (AP) - A Casa Grande Little League board member has been arrested for theft.

The Pinal County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday that 34-year-old Joe Angel Chavarria of Casa Grande was booked into the Pinal County Adult Detention Center.

Chavarria is accused of using a Casa Grande Little League credit card to purchase several items for his personal use.

Among the items, pants, drinks, food, gas, shirts and baseball gloves. He also is alleged to have stolen cash.

Chavarria faces felony charges including theft and fraudulent use of a credit card.

The Sheriff's Office says the total loss to the Casa Grande Little League is nearly $2,000.

Hi Amy, couple of things, This is just wrong we had board member get away with 160,000. It took over 3 years for the group to find out. How blind could they have been? Thank God you had someone on top of this guy at only 2000.

Side note and way off the path: Is there a on line news paper for eather Casa Grande or Pinal Co. I know strange question. The reason I ask is, you talking about the two town's and struck a note, I had forgotten, along time ago I recived some property out there, think somewhere in Pinal after my parent death and would like to see just what is going on in this area. Thanks for the post and any insight you may have. Well now I have some recerch I can do wile the turkey cooks and I watch some football. Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Not sure what compels people to do this. Some lack of understanding of basic right and wrong, I suppose. They see the money there, they see no one is really watching it, and they go for it.

A long time ago in a previous job we had a guy who did it. He was a young guy, early 30s I think, and he had been made president of the company. It was a heckuvan opportunity for someone so young because this was a decent size company. After a while, though, he started funneling company funds for home improvements at his house (including a tennis court, as I recall), tennis lessons for him and his wife and a lot of other stuff. He finally got caught when one of our Russian immigrant clerical workers saw an invoice billed to a client that didn't make sense, so she asked her boss to explain it to her. Her boss and the owner of the company looked into it and next thing you know he was gone. It was a shock.

This guy had the world by the tail, yet it wasn't enough. People think they can get away with it because they either think they're smarter than everyone else, or no one is watching, or both. Trouble is once you start it's tough to stop. And that will eventually be your undoing.

Hope they prosecute this guy to the maximum penalty, and that the organization gets its money back. Even if this guy has to work for years to pay it back.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Great Americans all, absolutely guilty, PERIOD!

Another great American trait is that everyone should always get the maximum, be fired from whatever job they may hold and if you have to take the family house, so be it, the dirty rotten bastard and his family deserve it, right?

May 25, 2010
Another great American trait is that everyone should always get the maximum, be fired from whatever job they may hold and if you have to take the family house, so be it, the dirty rotten bastard and his family deserve it, right?
You should be very pleased with the drunk-driving sentencing guidelines in the U.S. then. No one has ever been convicted of a capital crime if they are alleged to have been drunk at the time.

There have to be penalties for crimes and those penalties should be more punitive than simply paying back what's owed. There is value in giving society its pound of flesh.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The same day that I read about this Casa Grande crime, my paper from "back home" (Springfield, IL.) had an article about a 64 year old bank manager in Petersburg that was accused of embezzling $835,000 over a 10 year period. Now, where were the auditors when that was going on?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You should be very pleased with the drunk-driving sentencing guidelines in the U.S. then. No one has ever been convicted of a capital crime if they are alleged to have been drunk at the time.

There have to be penalties for crimes and those penalties should be more punitive than simply paying back what's owed. There is value in giving society its pound of flesh.

And what society would that be, your's, mine or someone else's?
People make mistakes and others are not only intent on extracting that "pound of flesh", they also go after the skin and bones and anything left over.

Do some of them deserve it? Absolutely. Does everyone deserve losing their lives, families and everything else for a stupid mistake or error in judgment? If so, more than half of us would end up living in boxes under the interstate.

But as you can witness on just about any board or chat room, being good litlle Chicken Littles, many people just buy anything they read and go directly to condemnation.

May 25, 2010
I agree that mistakes or lapses in judgment should be penalized accordingly.

While it can be reasonably argued that establishing someone's intent to an absolute certainty is nearly impossible, we the people can (and do) establishment intent when it comes to crimes of deception that are ongoing.

I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but at some point, we need to acknowledge that it's a generalized lack of accountability that has led to many of the problems 'people' complain about today.

It may be 'only $2000' that this individual stole, but I think it's worthwhile to spend a few bucks via our legal system to ensure that he definitely thinks twice before committing such a crime in the future. Doesn't guarantee he'll never steal again, but punishing him makes sense.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
I read "arrested", not "convicted". Typical sheeple reaction to media.

For all we know, the board just decided they didn't like this guy, didn't approve his expense report, and told the police it was stolen.

I'm not trying to defend anyone here, only to play devils advocate in the hopes that someday we'll stop drooling and backflipping every time the media puts yet another sensationalists article on the internet/newspapers.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd