Cardinal Sin of Coaching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
I have never recruited/coached a girl who misses 3 routine balls in a row.
That girl is weeded out during try outs, this is youth softball, not the 'end-all'
game of the world......

I understand and know that it's a very unlikely scenario. I'm just asking - is there a scenario where you would bench a kid mid-inning (for other than injury) or is this an absolute rule for you?

To the previous comment, I have noticed that MLB players don't get benched and quite honestly there are times I am screaming at my television set because they should be. Some of those guys are such pampered prima donnas it just makes my head explode.

Jul 26, 2010
I never pull for making an error, but if it's a lack of hustle, I give them 2 chances, if they miss a play twice due to lack of effort or if I feel they are missing because they're not giving 100% of whatever they have in the tank, I do pull. I usually do not bench, however, usually I will change positions. If it's an infielder I switch them with an outfielder. Usually that's enough to light a fire and it keeps the game moving along faster.

-W

Apr 13, 2010
I never pull for making an error, but if it's a lack of hustle, I give them 2 chances, if they miss a play twice due to lack of effort or if I feel they are missing because they're not giving 100% of whatever they have in the tank, I do pull. I usually do not bench, however, usually I will change positions. If it's an infielder I switch them with an outfielder. Usually that's enough to light a fire and it keeps the game moving along faster.

-W

The only problem with that is it makes playing outfield look like a punishment. We spend a lot of time emphasizing the importance of the outfield and I don't tolerate complaints about "sticking my kid in the outfield". I had a mom complain to me that I was "sticking her kid in the outfield". When I asked "what is wrong with outfield?" she had no answer.

Back to Coach JV, I don't know of any coach who would knowingly recruit a player who misses three balls in a row. Certainly not one that we may have seen in a couple of games plus tryouts. Chances are we saw them at their best. In the real world they are still kids going through changes, getting hormonal, having issues, developing attitudes - not always but it does happen. All those things can tend to affect performance on the field.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I do not generally have a problem with 'lack of hustle'

HUSTLE is a culture my teams have always had since day 1.
It starts with the little things like 'we never walk inside the fences' etc.
Never in 12 years have I pulled a child for errors in mid-inning. This goes against
player-coaching trust and goes against my core values.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
"Generally" speaking I don't have a problem with lack of hustle on my team either. Over the course of a 90 games in a year a lot goes on though. I would love to say my kids always do what they are supposed to and always have great attitudes. I'd be lying but I'd love to be able to say it.

Understand this is something I've only done twice in five years and a few hundred games so I'm not suggesting everyone should get their hooks out and get stupid. But, at the same time, do you not still reserve it as an option?

Feb 3, 2011
Ball was hit in the gap and she literally jogged after it to the fence. Before I could get off my bucket her dad was telling me to get her out of there.

Regardless of what's happening on the field, unless a player is injured, the parents are not involved with the decision-making during games or practices.

Because rec play has a per-inning run limit, a player who doesn't want to be out there on a given day can only hurt the team so much, so in my world, players finish the inning at their assigned position.

Nov 1, 2009
You have to call time out to make the change. I would call time and pull everyone into the pitchers mound and make the change under the cover of other players. I would add that I can't remember ever making a change like this unless I am going to make a pitching change and need to bring in a player to put on catching gear.

If your team is prepared you probably won't have too many of these issues. If they aren't prepared it probably won't change the outcome of the game by waiting until the half inning.

Nov 29, 2009
With young kids I don't pull them for physical errors. Bad throws, dropped balls and wrong execution happen. It's part of the game with young kids and is to be expected. What I will pull a kid for is falling asleep mentally on the field. The kid who turns into a spectator on the field instead of a participant or a kid who doesn't execute when told. I always tell my kids. "If you're going to make a mistake make it a big one. That way I know you're trying. " I never pull a girl for a failed effort.

Pitchers are a whole different subject. If they've lost it in the circle I'll make a change. Usually I try to let them work out of things on their own, but make the change when I need to.

Had a girl last season coming up to bat. We had a runner on 3rd in a tight game. Called time and told her to try and put a bunt down the 1st base line. She took 3 called strikes without an attempt at a bunt after getting the sac bunt sign on every pitch in the at bat. I immediately replaced her. Dad asked why after the game. I told him what I wanted her to do. He saw the lack of effort and was fine with it.

Had a right fielder fall asleep in the field on a play in the infield. Throw got away from 1st and she was still standing in the same spot in the outfield until the ball made it to the fence. When the ball hit the fence she realized she was sleeping and went after it. I pulled her right after that. I asked her what happened when she got back to the dugout. She shrugged and gave me a "I dunno." I talked to her quietly and let her know that the team needed her 150% focused when she was on the field. It never happened again with any of the girls after that. No ranting or yelling. But, the simple action a being taken out of the game was enough for the entire team. Dad made the comment after the game that he was surprised about how quietly I handled the situation. He said he would have been yelling at her.

I always make sure I try to get them back into that game or start the next one so show them I still have confidence with them as a player. The girl who took 3 strikes started the following game and went 3-4 with a bunt single. The outfielder made an inning ending diving catch with runners on the next game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. Heck, I can remember way back when, pulling a young lady during her at bat. She was visibly sobbing in the batter's box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez