Cardinal Sin of Coaching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. Heck, I can remember way back when, pulling a young lady during her at bat. She was visibly sobbing in the batter's box.

My coach did that when I was 10. It was my first year in the majors (little league majors) and I was not accustomed to looking to the third base coach for signs. I was in my first at bat during a scrimmage and after having been told twice I got in the batters box without looking. The next pitch coach benched me while still in the box and I sat the rest of the game. That guy was a real SOB but I never made that mistake again. Had that coach for three years and that SOB was the best thing that ever happened to me baseball wise - bar none.

Oct 31, 2010
I just wish that there was some consistency. My DD is scared now that she'll make one mistake and get pulled out, while others on the team know that they won't get pulled, no matter what they do.

I totally understand this! My DD didn't get pulled mid-inning but was benched after it over something she has never been taught to do...and others make error after error and are never benched.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
There are a few Chicago area programs, one for sure, that routinely pull players after errors. From 10U on up. It's just the way it is and families/players know going in that's the way it is.

It's not for everyone but the one program I'm thinking of is fairly successful and routinely put girls in college. One was the most outstanding player in the WCWS.

Another time (different program) the coach wanted his outfielder to move to a certain spot. He said it twice and she didn’t do what he was asking. He called time mid-inning and bellowed to the outfielder, “you’re out, can you hear that!” – and she proceeded to trot off the field to the bench.

Jul 9, 2010
But, suppose my second baseman let a grounder get by her that was three feet either side of her because she barely made a move to get it? No effort? No hustle? Hurting the team? I say she comes out.

I had this exact situation. The batter, who should have been out, went all the way to third. Next play, a very similar thing, and batter went to second. Both times, fielder booted ball, then stood there and looked at, while runners advanced, and a teammate had to get the ball and make a play.

I pulled the player mid-inning, thinking that 1) her confidence is shot, and she won't recover it by standing there; 2) if you're going to stand on the field, you owe your teammates effort; 3) other players would mutiny if it happended again.

After the game, dad wanted to fight me for pullind DD mid-inning. Got a little ugly, and player handed me her jersey, and they all left never to return. She was our best hitter, and it was loss for us.

If I had to do again, I'd do it again though. Making errors happen, but the player can control what happens after the error. So, it's not the error that is the problem, because they happen. It's more of what the player does after the error that determines effort, attitude, and commitment to teammates.

For pitchers, I explain to them that it takes 3 things for it to work well: 1) the pitcher's comfort strike zone and go-to pitch; 2) the upmire's strike zone; 3) the other team's hitting philosophy. If one of those is out synch, it might go poorly, and she might have to come out.

If a pitcher can't buy a strike on her out pitch, and the only option is to leave it fat to get hammered, it isn't doing her or anyone else any good to stay in there, and she may have to come out mid-inning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez