Capturing video and converting to slow motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Let me preface this by saying I'm no technical expert...but I know a lot of you are and I was hoping to take advantage of some of that expertise.

I would like to be able to take video, either that I shoot or that I capture off the net, and convert it to slow motion so I can look at my daughter's swings and pitching motion. I've been told that there are programs that will do this, maybe even some that don't cost an arm and a leg. I'm really looking for something very user friendly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

SueC

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If you use your smartphone.....swing reader and right view pro apps are just a few dollars.

May 17, 2011
I realize that. Unforunately I can't zoom with my iPhone. Also, some of the parents provide me video clips of my daughter pitching in games but I would like to be able to slow it down to look at it in detail.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I realize that. Unforunately I can't zoom with my iPhone. Also, some of the parents provide me video clips of my daughter pitching in games but I would like to be able to slow it down to look at it in detail.

I can zoom and I can transfer emailed videos on the right view pro app.

Jan 18, 2011
I also use Kinovea. It's FREE! Can read several different video formats, allows you edit and illustrate on the video. You can watch 2 videos side by side and control together or separately. Oh also did I mention that it's free!

Works for cheapskates like me, lol

A more important question may be what camera to use. Want to have a high frame rate, at least 60fps, as I gather from most on here. I've used my phone camera so far (30 fps) it's ok but not ideal. I haven't found that free camera yet, lol.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
A more important question may be what camera to use. Want to have a high frame rate, at least 60fps, as I gather from most on here. I've used my phone camera so far (30 fps) it's ok but not ideal. I haven't found that free camera yet, lol.

Frame rate is good but shutter speed and light are actually more important. Even at 30 fps if you get a very high shutter speed you will get less blur than at 60fps with a slow shutter.

Jan 18, 2011
LeftiesDad I agree with you those are also very important and prevent blur. The best would be to cover all those aspects.

I do like higher frame rates as the arm swings for pitching and bat speeds from swing get so quick I might miss a part that a higher frame rate would have caught.

I guess it would come down to what works best for you or how much camera you can afford. :)

Jul 11, 2009
Quicktime for quick and easy frame by frame viewing. Kinovea for good side by side comparisons of 2 swings. Another thing I really like about Kinovea is you can take video and make a picture of one frame. Works alot better to get a picture at or close to contact than trying to time it just right. And as others said, it is free :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi