Can you legally step back when pitching HS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
It's a HUGE difference pitching with 1 foot or 2 feet on the rubber. And next to all the people that gripe about crow hopping, it's my biggest pet peeve of the rules. Why are the pitching rules (2 feet) still in existence from 1950 when hitters get composite bats from 2016? It's incredibly unfair. The rule needs changed.

But the first time I ever threw with 2 feet on was my first game in New Zealand. Talk about a rude awakening. The amount of leverage one gets with 1 foot is beyond measure than with 2 feet. the USA is the only country in the world that allows men to have different pitching rules (allowing 1 foot on the rubber) as the women. In International softball, the rules are identical for men and women.

I believe the National HS softball federation allows 1 foot on. Their rationale is, not all girls play travel ball. And not all girls want to play in college. So, let the ones who don't do those things get some form of "advantage". But that's just a guess. I agree it'd be crazy to pitch one way in HS then another in the summer. Find your pitching motion and go with it!

Bill

So in New Zealand is it required to have 2 feet on the rubber? Are topics like two feet on the rubber and crow hopping continually reviewed by a rules committee? Is there a voting block of people who refuse to consider changing the rule?

It is infuriating to see mild crow hopping or a foot barely off the rubber get called in B level tournaments when the top pitchers in the world crow hop or replant regularly. Recently we attended a series of clinic style pitching lessons put on be the PC of local D1 school. One of the newest scholarship recruits from the school was also attending at the clinic. She clearly leaped and replanted on every pitch. How does she make it through years of gold level playing with such a blatant violation of a rule? Drives me crazy that kids like this are getting scholarships while lower level kids with similar defects have to waste time changing mechanics.

...sorry to rant...

Does anyone on this board have any inside information about the governing bodies and if these topics are even on their radar?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez