Can Runner Run????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It is very rare that I have come across an umpire who
1. Actually understands the LBR and
2. Applies it correctly with
3. consistency.
Very, very, VERY rare indeed.

I find that it is just the opposite. Most umpires I know and train, easily understand the LBR and enforce it properly.

Jun 22, 2008
Who says you cant throw the ball around after a strike out with no runners on?

The look back rule works just fine if you know how to use it.

Jul 21, 2008
As long as the runner commits to running and does not stop we should be fine. Im sure it will create all kinds of arguments during the game.

Not correct......if the ball is in the circle and the runner is on the base she cannot leave the base or she will be called out.

Jun 22, 2008
If they stop on a base, then yes, they would be called out for leaving. But, as long as they keep running, they can continue to run all the way around the bases if they like, as long as no other bases are occupied.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I find that it is just the opposite. Most umpires I know and train, easily understand the LBR and enforce it properly.

The LBR is more likely to be botched at the lower ages with inexperienced players and umpires. At the lower levels, if a runner ventures too far from the bag, the pitcher throws the ball into centerfield and the runner scores. At the higher levels, the pitcher gets the runner into a pickle for an easy out.

The LBR becomes a problem at 12U games with 14YOA umpires.

As the girls become more skilled, the LBR become less relevant.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am still struggling understanding the LBR.

Here is my made up scenario:

No one on base, batter walks.

The ball is immediately returned to the pitcher, who has control of the ball with both their feet in the circle. The batter has not even started to run to 1st base before the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle.

If the runner runs to 1st base and immediately continues to round the bases, the runner can score without violating the LBR.

Do I have that correct?

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
I am still struggling understanding the LBR.

Here is my made up scenario:

The ball is immediately returned to the pitcher, who has control of the ball with both their feet in the circle. The batter has not even started to run to 1st base before the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle.

If the runner runs to 1st base and immediately continues to round the bases, the runner can score without violating the LBR.

Do I have that correct?

Yes.

I have seen some overly zealous coaches use this with the younger girls to take advantage of teams that can't throw well. However, IMO this doesn't really teach the girls anything about understanding proper baserunning risks and rewards.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, I am getting close. Probably switching off the LBR rule but:

Here is another made up scenario:

The batter runs to 1st, and immediately runs towards 2nd but stops a few feet off 1st base. Runner is stopped, not making a move towards either base,

When does the runner need to commit either to run to 2nd or return to 1st?

Jun 22, 2008
The runner is allowed 1 stop and reversal of direction. They can round the base, stop, and choose to either advance or return. If no play is made on them or any other runner, after the stop, which ever direction they choose to go, they must proceed non stop to that base, unless the pitcher makes a play on them. The rule book says they must make an immediate decision. The clinics I have attended and most umpires I work with give a quick 1-2 count and then call them out if they havent moved. But, some umpires do call it almost immediately. If they round the base and stop without moving for more than just a second or 2, they are likely to be called out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd