Can runner advance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks for the replies. We stop this play easily, but as I said, it requires a throw. My question wasn't if the pitcher was in the circle, obviously as long as the runner doesn't hesitate she is fine. My question was more so if the pitcher is on the rubber before the girl reaches first base.

No, the PITCHER'S PLATE is irrelevant to any rule not involving a pitch

I understand that a runner can not leave the bag if the pitcher has the ball on the mound.

If the pitcher has possession of the ball in the CIRCLE, a runner which has stopped on a base, may not leave and any runner legally off a base must immediately act to return or advance to one of the bases of which s/he is between.

I guess what I am asking is would it still just be a continuation of the play even if the pitcher is on the rubber...not merely in the circle. My thinking is that it is simply a continuation even if the pitcher is on the rubber. Just one of those crazy thoughts I had yesterday.

See above.

Mar 2, 2013
There are two different issues/rules that are getting blended. One is the look-back rule (a/k/a circle rule). The other rule states that a runner cannot leave the base until the pitcher releases the ball. The later applies only to a runner who has stopped on a base. That is because you cannot leave a base unless you are on a base. The pitcher's plate has no bearing on either on. The pitcher merely has to be in the circle. Theoretically, you can have more than one basis for calling a runner out.

Jul 6, 2013
Ok thx umpire. You seemed to get the jist of what I was asking, and confirmed what I suspected.

Guys, simply to possibly explain what I was getting at better....if a pitcher is on the PITCHER'S PLATE, preparing to pitch, the runner can not leave the bag until the pitcher has released the ball. My question was merely if the runner is assumed "stopped" upon reaching the bag at first after a walk, if the pitcher has already returned to the PITCHER'S PLATE. My suspicion was no, that until the runner actually stopped and showed no intent on progressing beyond first base that no attempt by the pitcher to hold that runner by returning to the PITCHER'S PLATE before the batter reached first base would hold weight. I've never seen it done, for obvious reasons, and was just curious if there could be some technicality to it. Again, thanks for all the replies!!!

Feb 3, 2011
So MTR & Umpire, if the runner never stops on a base, may she continue advancing regardless of where the pitcher has the ball?

Jun 22, 2008
So MTR & Umpire, if the runner never stops on a base, may she continue advancing regardless of where the pitcher has the ball?

As I have already stated, the ball being in the circle with the pitcher does not stop playing action. Runners can run all day just as long as they do not stop on any base or violate any other aspects of the lookback rule.

Mar 2, 2013
The batter-runner may round first base, stop one and then immediately proceed non-stop forward to 2nd base or retreat back to 1st base.

The batter-runner may overrun first base, stop and then immediately proceed non-stop forward to 2nd base or retreat back to 1st base.

The batter-runner who overruns first base and turns to her right (toward the 1st base dugout) is required to return to 1st base non-stop.

The batter-runner who stops on first base and then leaves the base is out.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Does LBR apply to batter-runner after hitting first, or to all runners after batter-runner hits first?

For example, runner on third, batter walks, catcher fires ball back to pitcher in circle. Does runner at third have to go back, or is LBR not in effect until BR touches first?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Does LBR apply to batter-runner after hitting first, or to all runners after batter-runner hits first?

For example, runner on third, batter walks, catcher fires ball back to pitcher in circle. Does runner at third have to go back, or is LBR not in effect until BR touches first?
This. The LBR does not start until batter reaches 1st.

Mar 2, 2013
Let me just throw this out there since they botched the rule up a bit when they changed it a number of years ago. The rule now says it doesn't go into effect until the batter-runner reaches 1st base. That's true across the board. It used to not be a requirement that the batter-runner reach 1st base.

But what most organizations messed up was that there or obviously dozens of opportunities per game when it can still take effect. That is, when there ISN'T A BATTER-RUNNER. For example, R3 is on 3rd base. R3 leads off with the pitch, which is called "ball" making the count 2-2. Catcher returns the ball to the pitcher in the circle. The rule is now in effect. However, the terrible wording by most associations neglect this and focus on the batter-runner only.

I bring this up not to confuse any body, but to show that the rule is poorly worded, often the POE or R/S are relied upon to clarify the rule and maybe this will help explain some of the confusion.

Almost all of the associations have screwed this up.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
The batter-runner may round first base, stop once and then immediately proceed non-stop forward to 2nd base or retreat back to 1st base.

The batter-runner may overrun first base, stop and then immediately proceed non-stop forward to 2nd base or retreat back to 1st base.

We need to get this clarification included in the rulebook. I've seen too many misinformed umpires call runners out for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie