CAN I use a Baseball glove for Softball glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
I just received a WILSON A2000 12.5" Glove. It is to small(which I am sending back). I personally have a 12.5" baseball glove and it is way bigger than the WILSON A2000 12.5" Glove. I was talking with my pitching coach and he said my DD should/can use a BASEBALL glove and that I needed a get a 13" glove. My daughter is 14 yrs. old, 5'4". As I watch a lot of college SB it appears that a lot of College girls are using large gloves. And there are a lot of college girls that are 5'4".

My question is, CAN I use a Baseball glove for Softball glove? I have been analyzing gloves for over a month. I Have exchanged two gloves and finally got my money back on this decision. So I am back at square one needing a glove and time is running out to get it broke in for the H.S. season starts.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I disagree with the should use a baseball glove, but agree with the can part. The pocket is going to be a little bit different.

If I was at a box store and needed a glove and a baseball glove was the best fit I would not hesitate to purchase it. If I was purchasing a glove over on the Internet, I would purchase a softball glove.

It is my understanding that most college infielders and pitchers use a glove smaller then 12.5, some under 12. The actual size of the glove will vary by manufacture. 12.5 seems to mean different things to different manufactures.

Would you mind defining what you mean by too small? The pocket? The fit?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
A pitcher should use the smallest and lightest glove possible. A 12" or 12.5 is common. The object to to get the glove between the body and the ball. A large heavy glove makes this more difficult.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I just received a WILSON A2000 12.5" Glove. It is to small(which I am sending back). I personally have a 12.5" baseball glove and it is way bigger than the WILSON A2000 12.5" Glove. I was talking with my pitching coach and he said my DD should/can use a BASEBALL glove and that I needed a get a 13" glove. My daughter is 14 yrs. old, 5'4". As I watch a lot of college SB it appears that a lot of College girls are using large gloves. And there are a lot of college girls that are 5'4".

My question is, CAN I use a Baseball glove for Softball glove? I have been analyzing gloves for over a month. I Have exchanged two gloves and finally got my money back on this decision. So I am back at square one needing a glove and time is running out to get it broke in for the H.S. season starts.

Interesting post. If YOU are using the glove, use anything you want. If it is for your DD, then get her a glove that works for her. It's been a while since I've read such an egocentric post from a parent when referring to their DD's glove, pitching coach, HS season, and sport.

Jan 24, 2009
Agree with oilf. Here are two baseball models. I wouldn't buy these for a baseball player but they are perfect for fastpitch. The bigger one on the right (yes, it is larger but the photo is deceiving) is 12.25" while the smaller one on the left is 12.5". DD uses the pro preferred.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My DD pitches and plays shortstop, she uses a 12" Vinci baseball glove (NO Velcro) and its the perfect size for her. The H-web has really opened up and formed a perfect pocket for a 12" ball.

Oct 16, 2014
My DD is 12 and plays 3rd base. She uses a Wilson Onyx 11.75" glove and does quite well with it. Gets the ball and gets it out fast. The Onyx is pretty much the identical pattern to the A2000 but made with slightly different material. Since My DD uses a smaller than a 12" glove they are sometimes harder to find and I have compared it to the A2000 baseball gloves and the only difference is the wrist opening and the finger stalls are slightly wider on a baseball glove VS a fast pitch glove. But if in an emergency situation I had to run to get her a new glove and I had to choose between a 12" or smaller baseball glove or a larger fast pitch glove, I'd chooses the smaller baseball glove in a heartbeat. But it really comes down to what is comfortable on them and what allows them to play their best.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
Use what is comfortable to you. I always wrote 'The Pearl' on my glove because it was 1 in a million :)

Mostly I played catcher so I just needed a soft mitt that was big enough. My arm wasn't super strong so I had to make sure to be able to get the ball away quickly.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I've seen a number of D1 players on TV using Wilson A2Ks, which are baseball gloves. I'm pretty sure if they can, your DD can too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06