Can batter/runner over run 1b on base on balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Great video, Thanks I am showing this to my team tonight. We talked about this but it is always easier to show what you mean.

I'm pretty sure that video is a college game, don't attempt to do this in any other rule set as it would be a violation of the lookback rule. If the ball is in the circle when that b/r turns around and takes a single step back toward 1st they are committed to 1st base.

Jan 24, 2010
I'm pretty sure that video is a college game, don't attempt to do this in any other rule set as it would be a violation of the lookback rule. If the ball is in the circle when that b/r turns around and takes a single step back toward 1st they are committed to 1st base.

Yes, this happened during the UK/Louisville game Wed night.

Dec 11, 2010

Thank you Comp. Once again the NCAA rule set makes the college game a completely different sport.

I wondered why I never saw this before. That’s why.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
[video]https://youtu.be/KrvWGnECweAu[/video]

Indy hs coach I was wondering specifically about the intentional base on balls. Now that you say that it makes sense that the ball is dead.

DD's showcase team does this a lot. I wouldn't think it would work at this level, but it's amazing how they never get caught stealing. Her HS coach is a bit more conservative, so I'm hoping DD just does it on her own.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm pretty sure that is a college game in the video and the rule is completely different in NCAA about returning to 1st base. NCAA allows the b/r who overruns first to attempt to advance to 2nd up until they actually return and touch 1st base. In any other rule set if that b/r overruns 1st and the ball is in the circle when they turn around and step back toward 1st they are no committed to 1st base under the lookback rule. It makes no difference that the pitcher attempted a play on her long after she already committed a lookback violation because in any rule set where this is a violation the ball is dead the instant the runner committed the violation.

I guess where I disagree is the contention that she definitely was going back toward first. She's not walking straight down the line. She's walking diagonally in a direction that is arguably both toward first and second.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Even though the pitcher made a play on her?

I saw no play on the runner prior to her breaking toward 2B

Anyway, I see her returning in a diagonal direction, not directly toward first base. I think it'd be tough to argue she was definitely "committed to 1st" in this case, though she probably was.

Doesn't make any difference. Once the runner turning left begins her return back toward the infield other than directly toward 2B is committed to 1B and must immediately return to 1B

Jul 9, 2016
I saw no play on the runner prior to her breaking toward 2B

Doesn't make any difference. Once the runner turning left begins her return back toward the infield other than directly toward 2B is committed to 1B and must immediately return to 1B

So are we calling this a bad call on the Ump for letting player advance?

Not saying Ump can see everything at all times.

Jul 9, 2016
Ok reviewing clip again I see 3 Umps now

And ball does not seem to be in the circle when she breaks for 2nd.

{Editing Note to myself...}

[when trying to attach a video to play..copy paste URL then post then Edit...and remove url on both ends of link and replace with the word video on both ends]