Can anyone show me the grandpa radar clip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
Rita Lynn? You generally subtract 4 mph from any speed posted on her site.
I was wondering the accuracy of her "speed board". I do know a girl that goes there and she's on her 60mph board. Seems about right for her. But I could have been old numbers. Maybe she's in the 70's now!

Apr 28, 2014
After being around the game for 10 years I've learned a few things, still so much I don't know.
I will say that speed numbers are generally a fraud. Last summer we played against a team who had a pitcher that a very respected nationally known pitching coach touted on his website as throwing 69. She came in relief agaisnt us and she got barreled up good. I had my pocket radar and she was touching 62. I've only seen one pitcher work in the upper 60s and let me tell ya when you see it its undeniable in every way. When the ball gets over 65 it's just different. What's more troubing, I guess due to covid and some pitching coaches struggling, now they are posting numbers which even the most naive person would question. Posting videos of walk throughs with speed guns?? Who cares about walk through speed? Can't do it during a game.
There needs to be some type of "during game" speed certification ;)
Without that all the speed numbers you see you need to taken with a grain of salt. My DD has hit 63.8 in practice a few times. But she doesn't throw that in games so why post that? No one cares.. they only care if you can duplicate in games which she can not. So it's irrelevant. These coaches posting these numbers are only setting these kids up for failure and disappointment.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
After being around the game for 10 years I've learned a few things, still so much I don't know.
I will say that speed numbers are generally a fraud. Last summer we played against a team who had a pitcher that a very respected nationally known pitching coach touted on his website as throwing 69. She came in relief agaisnt us and she got barreled up good. I had my pocket radar and she was touching 62. I've only seen one pitcher work in the upper 60s and let me tell ya when you see it its undeniable in every way. When the ball gets over 65 it's just different. What's more troubing, I guess due to covid and some pitching coaches struggling, now they are posting numbers which even the most naive person would question. Posting videos of walk throughs with speed guns?? Who cares about walk through speed? Can't do it during a game.
There need ls to be some type of "during game" speed certification ;)
Without that all the speed numbers you see you need to taken with a grain of salt. My DD has hit 63.8 in practice a few times. But she doesn't throw that in games so why post that? No one cares.. they only care if you can duplicate in games which she can not. So it's irrelevant. These coaches posting these numbers are only setting these kids up for failure and disappointment.
Amen. Go watch Carly Hoover pitch and then watch one of these girls that they say throws upper 60's pitch and you will see the difference real quick. :)

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Looking at the video again, I get a kick how on some of the pitches, she throws hard and the follow through takes her hand out front. The slightest of pauses, then she pulls her hand up to her shoulder to finish the HE long after the ball is gone.
Just doing what she was taught...:rolleyes:

A falsie. Learned the term here. I see it a lot. Girl throws a pitch, hesitates, does a falsie then looks to see if coach noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1