Calming down a swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is hot and cold hitting. The ole has a great tee swing but spasms hitting sometimes. Looking for ways to calm her swing down. I fake tosses sometimes, when she doesn't spasm she crushes the ball for a rising 14U player. Any other suggestions other than tee work and fake tosses between tosses.? Thanks.

Oct 2, 2017
DD is hot and cold hitting. The ole has a great tee swing but spasms hitting sometimes. Looking for ways to calm her swing down. I fake tosses sometimes, when she doesn't spasm she crushes the ball for a rising 14U player. Any other suggestions other than tee work and fake tosses between tosses.? Thanks.

Have a early and slow mentality.. Time is the enemy when batting. The more time you can give your self the better. Starting early will allow the player to slow down and have more control. Not sure of how your DD swings with out video though.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Without video I'm gonna guess she's a bit late with her gather? Then gets in a hurry with her launch? If it is try a hover drill during front toss but being firm about removing the slack out first before you even toss the ball. Tee will be fine too. If you watch this gif, you'll notice that #3 is late from the start. She didn't remove that slack out in her gather. Instead she's striding out and still "pulling back". She's beat. I agree with stressing "slow and early". Just my opinion.
5d6796292d6b738985abb786bcc48619.gif

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
Jerky reaction. Big movement with her hands. Leaned it as a spasm 30 years ago. Lol. She has some beautiful swings but just not consistent. Lots of pop.

Jun 8, 2016
Jerky reaction on gather or launch?

I would just substitute jerky for a rushed/panic type swing. I see it all the time in 10U. They don't gather in time and hence have to try and complete their whole swing process in too little time which results in a rushed reaction (jerky) to the incoming pitch.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
I would just substitute jerky for a rushed/panic type swing. I see it all the time in 10U. They don't gather in time and hence have to try and complete their whole swing process in too little time which results in a rushed reaction (jerky) to the incoming pitch.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. The reason I ask gather or launch well it can go a few different ways. On gather, it could be as simple as "slow and early" and launch, well do we need to set up an appointment with an optometrist? We went through that 10u phase many times. There were weekends where we'd see your 45-50mph one game and 56 the next. 60 a few times. I was very impressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06