Calling what you don't see

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
All I ever ask of the professional umpires is to:

1) Know the rules

2) Give both teams a consistent strike zone, regardless of where it is

3) Call what you see

(ASA rules)

Batter is late and is called out on strike 3, swinging, and returns to her dugout.

After throwing ball back to pitcher, catcher requests time and indicates to her coach that the bat hit her. It's unclear on the video exactly when she got hit, but based on their movements relative to one another - both batter and catcher reached for a pitch on the outside edge of the plate - my best guess is that it was on the batter's swing.

Catcher has to leave the game. Opposing coach then asks PU to call obstruction on the play. PU calls OBS and calls retired batter out of dugout and places her on 1B.

PU admits he didn't see the bat hit the player, and so when our coach asked whether it was on the backswing, the umpire said it didn't matter. According to the umpire, the batter is entitled to swing whenever and wherever she wants so long as she's still in the box.

Question 1: I concede that it was most likely the right call, but given that the umpire didn't actually see it happen, was he right to overrule himself after that play was already over?

Question 2: Is the batter is entitled to swing "whenever and wherever she wants so long as she's still in the box"?

Mar 2, 2013
A catcher hit on a back swing (or follow through) is absolutely NOT obstruction.

It certainly can be if she is pulling the bat back and then tries to swing forward. I would be careful using such a generalization since it opens up the possibility that it could be wrong in certain cases.

Mar 2, 2013
All I ever ask of the professional umpires is to:

1) Know the rules

2) Give both teams a consistent strike zone, regardless of where it is

3) Call what you see

So, you only require rules knowledge, a consistent strike zone and proper mechanics.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It certainly can be if she is pulling the bat back and then tries to swing forward. I would be careful using such a generalization since it opens up the possibility that it could be wrong in certain cases.

That's not a back swing, that's part of her load.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Once the batter entered the dugout she's out no matter what correct?

Can it be appealed after she's left the field of play?

Jun 22, 2008
Once the batter entered the dugout she's out no matter what correct?

Can it be appealed after she's left the field of play?

Not correct. If a batter has not completed their turn at bat such as thinking it was strike 3 when it was not, the batter is not out and they would returned to complete the at bat. Also, if a call, or delay of a call by the umpire puts a player in jeapordy, the umpire is allowed to take whatever measures necessary to correct the situation.

Per the original post, the umpire should not have based their call on something they or their partner(s) did not physically see. But, it was the umpires failure to see the catchers obstruction on strike 3 which sent the batter to the dugout, so reversal of the call and putting the batter on 1st base is within the umpires authority and rules.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not correct. If a batter has not completed their turn at bat such as thinking it was strike 3 when it was not, the batter is not out and they would returned to complete the at bat. Also, if a call, or delay of a call by the umpire puts a player in jeapordy, the umpire is allowed to take whatever measures necessary to correct the situation.

Per the original post, the umpire should not have based their call on something they or their partner(s) did not physically see. But, it was the umpires failure to see the catchers obstruction on strike 3 which sent the batter to the dugout, so reversal of the call and putting the batter on 1st base is within the umpires authority and rules.

So how do you reconcile the 1969 World Series, the Shoe Polish Pitch and the hundreds if not thousands of similar incidents since then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd