Calling Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2010
What do some of you do to call a pitch-out? I'm trying to come up with something simple, and just looking for ideas. We already use 1-5 for pitches, then 1-4 for location. Ideas?
Thanks,

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
We use tapping the inside thigh for throw backs (right thigh first base, left thigh 3rd base), don't have anything for pitch outs but I would think you can use something similar.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is a family site and so, I can't explain what sign we use for a pitchout. However, it is what our catcher is thinking about someone trying to run on them.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is a family site and so, I can't explain what sign we use for a pitchout. However, it is what our catcher is thinking about someone trying to run on them.

We use the same sign for putting the batter on with one hard pitch. It's really funny watching the pitcher get the signal and keep a straight face.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
"We use the same sign for putting the batter on with one hard pitch. It's really funny watching the pitcher get the signal and keep a straight face. "

You do this? Intentionally? I call B.S. on that. I have seen plenty of batters get hit by pitches, and my own DD has hit her share, and I believe that the pitcher needs to bring the ball to the plate, especially the inside part of the plate, fearlessly. But if I ever tell a catcher or pitcher to "put a batter on with one hard pitch," I will know it's time for me to get out of coaching for good. That's one baseball tradition that softball doesn't need.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1