Calling Pickoffs/ 1st and 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
How do some of you make your calls for pickoffs and/or 1st and 3rd situations? Talking about 15-18 year olds...thanks

Oct 26, 2019
How do some of you make your calls for pickoffs and/or 1st and 3rd situations? Talking about 15-18 year olds...thanks
if you are a wristband team it’s on the wristband.

There’s a million ways to do it, but lets say you have 3 plays. Play 1, 2, and 3. Call out three numbers and you and the players know which number is the live #. Could also make it out dependent. 1 out it’s the 1st #, 2 outs the 2nd, and 0 outs the 3rd.

Another option. Play 1 is any color, play 2 is any state, and play 3 is any college mascot.

Those are just 2 options of a million.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My catchers knew that if I said the name or number of the fielder covering a base with a runner on it when I was giving numbers/signs/'coaching', she better try to pick the runner off next pitch.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Another option out of a million: Our coach would call out a two digit combination that added up to the player that was to cut the ball on a 1st and 3rd. For example: “15!” Meant that the SS would receive the ball and look to make a play on the runner at 3rd.

May 20, 2015
if you are a wristband team it’s on the wristband.

There’s a million ways to do it, but lets say you have 3 plays. Play 1, 2, and 3. Call out three numbers and you and the players know which number is the live #. Could also make it out dependent. 1 out it’s the 1st #, 2 outs the 2nd, and 0 outs the 3rd.

Another option. Play 1 is any color, play 2 is any state, and play 3 is any college mascot.

Those are just 2 options of a million.

b words was 1st,m u words were 3rd.....not sure how that evolved into that, but 'bandit', boston were my favored first base.....utah was my favorite 3rd haha

Oct 26, 2019
b words was 1st,m u words were 3rd.....not sure how that evolved into that, but 'bandit', boston were my favored first base.....utah was my favorite 3rd haha
I’m a big fan of letting the girls come up with the signals because there’s no excuse if they missed them ha ha

May 20, 2015
I’m a big fan of letting the girls come up with the signals because there’s no excuse if they missed them ha ha

my catchers always had a green light (unless we had it turned off), so my corners were ready for a throw at all times anyways ;)

it was my goal to NOT call it, because they already made or anticipated the read

although i did have a penchant for the bandit call (1st base) on bases loaded situations.....especially with two outs.....nothing better than ending an inning with a back pick to 1st with the bases loaded......we ended games and one tournament finals that way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks