1st and 3rd (12U)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
with 12 u teams , how many of you call a cut off play or other pickoffs in this scenario

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Big difference in first year 12U and second year 12U. First year should be working on it. Second year should be able to run multiple plays.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
They never work, or at least I have never seen them work. The runners on 3rd have been alerted to them. I have seen plenty of botched plays that let the runner score. If you have a catcher with a good arm and decent SS just go for the runner at 2nd, most of the time the runner at 3rd stays frozen at the base expecting a trick play.

Sep 19, 2018
3 plays

1. 2b crashes and takes the cut great view of what r3 is doing.
2. Throw through to 2b with short covering 2b.
3. Pick off at 3b

We throw to 3b a lot. You’d be surprised how often r3 is not where she should be.

Oct 26, 2019
3 plays

1. 2b crashes and takes the cut great view of what r3 is doing.
2. Throw through to 2b with short covering 2b.
3. Pick off at 3b

We throw to 3b a lot. You’d be surprised how often r3 is not where she should be.
This is essentially what we run. 1st and 3rds are a great opportunity to work on throwing and catching and controlling the running game. It drives me nuts when there are no outs and they just let the runner steal second uncontested. I get it that you are worried about giving up the run at third, but with no outs that runner is going to probably score anyway. Teach the kids to always look for outs in the bases. It’s a mentality.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
They never work, or at least I have never seen them work. The runners on 3rd have been alerted to them. I have seen plenty of botched plays that let the runner score. If you have a catcher with a good arm and decent SS just go for the runner at 2nd, most of the time the runner at 3rd stays frozen at the base expecting a trick play.
yes this happens all the time, lots of easy outs. most of the time the runner stealing second is just jogging anyways. after we throw thru once then we will have the shortstop crash and can pick the girl off trying to go home. this was second year 12's

Apr 3, 2022
Akron, Ohio
We tell the girls at 3rd to run as soon as you see the catcher release the ball to 2nd. Scores almost every time!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles