Cage Routine

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Hi all, we've been going to the cage regularly every week. I bring my own Tee & regulation balls.

Typically we will...

1. Do the Matrix thing...Go through a handful of slow motion swings.

2. Then we will hit off the Tee, about two buckets worth. While hitting off the the Tee I will move the Tee to various parts of the Plate.

3. About 1/2 way through she will do about a dozen "reverse hand drill' swings...then back to regular swings.

4. Then we use the machine for two buckets...the first bucket is mostly bunting from both sides of the plate, then we do full swings, ending with a couple bunts from each side again.

5. To finish off we do do front toss from about 15 feet away.

Looking to switch it up tonight for no reason other than to break up the monotony.

I will probably do the SnF drill. Anything else you guys can think of, or a drill you enjoy doing that we can add to the routine tonight?

Thanks,

T

Oct 22, 2012
Thomaston,GA
I'd recommend some live pitching at decently high speed. Even if its overhand throws from you. When I did this, based on RHC's recommendation, I discovered that my DD's swing was way different and less efficient because she was out of her comfort zone. It help tremendously once she recognized on video what she was doing and we were able to make changes.

Oct 10, 2011
I would maybe add the walk up drill to warm up and mostly do moving ball (front toss etc...) and very little tee work. Save the other stuff for the mirror at the house:)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would maybe add the walk up drill to warm up and mostly do moving ball (front toss etc...) and very little tee work. Save the other stuff for the mirror at the house:)

I agree or limit space area. I would have the machine pitch higher in the zone-Rise ball.
Lower in the zone-drop ball.
In and out pitches.
Change ups.
I would also do some front toss/fire.
If I could luv to get a 'real' pitcher in the cage.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I wouldn't spend the time bunting from both sides of the plate unless she's getting ready to convert to a slapper soon. And if you are going to convert, I would go all in and not look back.

I would make the Bonds drill a regular part of your routine - progressively decrease and increase the hitter's distance from the machine. Watch carefully - if the mechanics start getting cheated don't move any closer.

Have fun!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thanks...good idea. She is a big pull hitter...this will help going with the pitch you get.

Should I be concerned about pitching overhand to her?

Not directed at 'over hand'. I was just throwing out an idea of getting a teammate pitcher to throw live full speed batting practice. I wish list sort of thing.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
In your progression ... why do you perform front-toss after the machine work ... as opposed to performing front-toss and then the machine work?

No real good reason other than to get to the "fun part" for her earlier in the routine.

I find finishing off with front toss, which has good instruction and good sound swings a beneficial way to end the night...kind of leave on a happy note. Sometimes with the machine she will struggle as I crank it up & break down mechanically. Going back to front toss after the machine is good a way (for us) to reinforce good mechanics and leave with confidence. So yeah...no real good reason I guess (lol).

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Not directed at 'over hand'. I was just throwing out an idea of getting a teammate pitcher to throw live full speed batting practice. I wish list sort of thing.

Oh I know what you meant...but IF a pitcher is unavailable does ANYONE feel me pitching over-hand to her is a bad idea?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch