Buzzsawed!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Not to defend the other coach but you never know if the girl that delayed steal got the sign from the coach or just did it herself.

I have coached many teams softball and basketball that have a hard time letting off the throttle. Sometimes they just react, sometimes they just forget.

I had a girls basketball team that wouldn't stop fast-breaking when we were up 29-3 after repeatedly telling them not to run and to pass 5 times before you shoot. I finally called timeout and yelled at them loud enough for the whole gym to hear that they needed to stop running. The girls were embarrassed and shocked because I am not a screamer. I got quite a few "Thank you Coach" after the game from parents and the referees. We could have won that game 60-6. It was rec league so there was no need.

Ultimately this falls to the coach but perhaps the girl that did the delayed steal got an earful after the game.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I agree and that is what I plan to do.

I'm just trying to understand if there is some sort of legitimate coaching rationale I'm missing here. I have heard coaches say that if you pull back the reins they are concerned their team will lose their intensity for the next game. Personally I don't believe this to be so but I've only been coaching travel for about five years.

I don't agree with what the other coach did but it happens. Maybe not the exact same situation but I recall a college football coach either Barry Switzer when he was at Oaklahoma or Steve Spurrier in his Florida days was asked about running up the score on weak opponents - they always had at least a few on the schedule in those days - and the comment was no he didn't feel bad and no he wouldn't pull back, otherwise how will the other coach know what he need to work on? I can't say I agree with that philosophy but it is one way to look at it.

Just hang in there most of us have been on both the right and wrong sides of blowouts as players or coaches over the years.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Been there, had it done to me.....not pleasant.

It evens out eventually. You'll take great pleasure when your team beats this opponent in the future. Remember to be a gracious winner when it happens as you were a great sport in a lopsided loss.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
unfortunately tournament rules often foster these sort of things. Tie Breakers that include run differential and runs scored encourage this behavior.

Aug 14, 2011
Over the years, I've been on both sides of the equation while watching my daughter's teams play (usually on the losing side, but that's another story). It is hard to get your butt whipped and have the other team continue to be aggressive, use the game as practice since they're up by so much, start subbing in their bench players that never get to play, etc. It's just as hard to see a team feel sorry for you and not steal when any other time the steal was a given, or to step off a bag just to end the game or start swinging at anything-- that's almost patronizing. But when you are winning like that, and you are coaching a younger age group, you almost hate to have them not steal that base. They may be a better team, but they are still learning and trying to improve. I think it's a hard situation on either side.
It sucks losing, and I do think your kids have learned a valuable lesson. You can be good, even really good, but you will not always win. On any given day, anybody can beat anybody. They have to plow through and with their heads up. My husband always says that it's the highs and also the lows of sports that make athletes want to compete.
Now, that said, oh the coaches I have seen that just needed that extra point from a stolen base, or needed to jump up and cheer another hit, because beating someone 22-1 just isn't enough. Been there, done that, love to have clobbered the guy!:eek:

May 31, 2012
The coach's antics seem out of line. Around here its customary for teams to start stepping off when the score gets lopsided. Curious to know if you were saying publicly that you were ready and wanted a piece of the #1 team in the state. Sounds like your pitcher lost focus in the delayed steal of home. Help them learn from it.

Apr 1, 2010
unfortunately tournament rules often foster these sort of things. Tie Breakers that include run differential and runs scored encourage this behavior.

That's true. OP's case was a bracket game, but if a weak team finds itself in a pool with multiple strong teams, rankings could come down to which teams took pity upon the weak team and which ones just went ahead and racked up a huge run count. It's just the way of the game...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd