Buzzsawed!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
It gets better as the girls get older. At that age group, you have mostly daddy-coaches, and you'll find that the younger the player, the more insane the parents/coaches are. Go watch an 8u game, which typically have 10 players and 12 coaches per team, and you'll suddenly realize how well behaved the opposing 12u coach was.

Kudos to your team and your parents for getting through it. Take it as a learning experience and go from there. The best thing that you can learn here is energy management. For girls 13 and under, they will really feed off of their coaches and team leaders. The second you flinch and seem a bit disappointed or deflated, the team will fall flat.

-W

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Wow....Man... I'm hurting with you. This has got to make you ALL better !!! How, why ??? I don't know. You guys just hang in there, and get ready for the next games.... :{((

You might have got mixed up with a group, that don't believe that there should be 9u, 11u, 13u...ect. ????????

Nov 8, 2010
Go watch an 8u game, which typically have 10 players and 12 coaches per team, and you'll suddenly realize how well behaved the opposing 12u coach was.

- why can I not stop laughing about that? Probably because it's true and all 12 of those coaches are acting like they are coaching the Univ. of Alabama!

Anyway, I had very similar experience to yours last spring. We took a 17-0 beating in a pool game at the hands of a very good 2nd yr 12u team and it was obvious it was a mismatch from the first at-bat. The coach behaved herself but they stayed on the throttle until time expired.

Yes, the players were very upset after this game. But the cool thing is, we came across this team again the next day in bracket play and we made a real game out of it. We still lost (final score was 5-2 I think) but we competed and we got better as a team in 24 hours! in fact the score was 3-1 for most of that game. It was a very, very cool thing to see how these girls responded, challenged themselves and stepped it up. When we left the field that day, I don't think any of our players felt like losers. They all realized what happens when they lose a game and learn from it. One of the girls even told me it was more fun to play teams like that and lose than play a bunch of teams we are clearly better than and win easily - and that was all her with no prompting from me!

So, keep coaching them the right way and you will be amazed at what they can do and figure out on their own! A little adversity (even if it is a butt kicking) can end up being a good thing down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As Hamlet said, "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.''

What I'd do is focus on my team entirely and not worry what another team or coach chooses to do. Were my players upset that the other team stole home at 13-0? If not, it's not an issue. If they did care, then I would explain that it was a great experience playing the best team in the state and that I am grateful that we got the full 60 minutes of their best effort and not just 20.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
As Hamlet said, "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.''

What I'd do is focus on my team entirely and not worry what another team or coach chooses to do. Were my players upset that the other team stole home at 13-0? If not, it's not an issue. If they did care, then I would explain that it was a great experience playing the best team in the state and that I am grateful that we got the full 60 minutes of their best effort and not just 20.

Agreed 100%, the worst thing you can do is make the kids think they are being treated poorly! There will be games that your losing and they need to stay tough and know how to fight thru it. It sounds like that is pretty much how you handled it. Dont spend another min thinking about how they ran the score up, think about how next time you can steal outs from them for doing dumb stuff. Tell your girls you want to run into that team again and you want to see a better game. Make sure your kids understand you would like them to emulate the other teams play on the field, but also make them understand when you reach that level you will play with a little more class! When you beat them tell your girls to act like they have won a game before and in the huddle after the game make sure you recognize their success and class. Turn the next practice into a pizza party in honor of the feat 12U's love that stuff!!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Karma is a bioch, and I hope that some day in the near future that coach's team gets stomped into a mud hole so he will know how it feels.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Unfortunately the game at that age is littered with these kinds of jerks. The positive is, his team learned absolutely nothing by beating you down like that, but I bet your team learned a lot.

It does get better as the girls get older, the idiot coaches now seem few and far between.

May 13, 2012
I have been beat that bad before at 12u. One team had coach just like what you saw plus my 3rd base went up for line drive ball caught fingers on non glove hand. No serious injury but I did hear the other girls laughing. It bothered me that the coach allowed them to do that. Another really good team beat us 14 -0 in different tourny first game of day. Had him later in brackets, at home plate before game I said "Im going to do my best to beat you just take it easy on us if my plan don't work" we both laughed and he said don't worry I'm throwing my number 2 and 3. They beat us 9-4 or so. I faced him a couple more times that yr and he always throwed his lower pitchers and it we always made a decent showing but never beat him. So there are also some good coaches out there also.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I pulled a team, during a similar display, when the girls were in 6th and 7th grade. It just didn't matter at the end of the day. I am certain no one remembers it, but me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207