Buying a pitching machine

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yep! I hope your blog also covers how to feed it correctly. I see a lot of methods when at cages and practiceds. My DD prefers the front toss method, mostly because I stink at feeding the machine. It's especially tough to practice slapping when she can't tell when the ball is coming out when it sticks a little.

Yes it does. It's a method I've used for years and it works because it's easy to feed and consistent.

Oct 4, 2016
Front toss is great, but the problem with hitting is not reaction time itself. It's reaction time caused by speed. That's the one thing that a pitching machine can provide that tee, front toss & side toss cannot - the actual speed of a live pitch. Reaction time is not a problem independent of speed, else it would be hard to hit fungos. Gotta hit fungos or self-toss in a fraction of a second, but it's not too hard. The problem is the speed (and change of speed and movement).

I'm not therefore endorsing the investment into a hitting machine. They're expensive. But I do believe that machines can be very helpful provided that the hitter is being instructed correctly and doesn't fall into problems caused if the machine is being used incorrectly. The instructor needs to understand sequence and find a way to get the hitter in sequence off a machine, or else you could cause real problems. IMO, key here is getting hitter to anticipate when the ball comes out of the chute so hitter is moving out as ball is coming in. If move out is too early or late, you can screw up your swing without knowing what hit you.

Thanks to all of you for the input! It sounds to me that a pitching machine is a good tool if used correctly and not relied on as the only way to practice. Our intention is to use it along with front-toss/side-toss/tee etc. I look forward to seeing the recommendations on how to feed the machine properly from Ken. I have two younger daughters who are showing promise so I think for the three as well as the team it could be a worthwhile investment.

Sep 17, 2009
I've never seen a well-worn jugs machine "hit a pie pan." I've also never seen a great hitter unable to time up a machine and consistently drive the ball.

Buy one and use it (supervised) as a station alongside (supervised) tee and front-toss stations. Add live pitching time too.

Loading the machine is going to cause a mis-time 1 out of 6 or 8 times -- whether you show and load or fake a windmill. Ignore that one miscue and focus on the rest. It's a good tool for throwing game-simulated speed at a hitter in a cage. If nothing else, teach them how to hit it off the machine so that when they go to a tryout outside the bubble you've created and see one (at high school tryout, college workout, etc) they can dominate it and impress.

The best use of a machine IMO is to crank it up to an uncomfortable speed, see them miss again and again, explain to them they are (almost 100% likely to be) late and use it as a teaching moment to instill "slow and early" into their swing.

Apr 16, 2013
I'll throw in my opinion here as it seems relevant. My DD is a baseball player (14) and a pitching machine has been a massive part of her success, IMO. She's been the best batter on any team she's played on since she started playing. The worst season ending stat she's ever had was in the 400's. I built a back yard cage and use real baseballs. The BIGGEST thing is to simulate real pitching. I go through a windup with a ball in my right hand and the left hand drops the ball into the chute (left hand is holding the ball right at the chute the whole time) as I'd normally be releasing the ball from my throwing hand. Timing the pitcher is every bit as important as timing the actual pitch because you start your swing before the ball is ever released. If you just stand there and drop the ball into the chute then you're going to destroy her swing and develop some horrible habits. I just have the one wheel Jug machine and bought it used a long time ago, i think for 600. It's been one helluva workhorse! Also, using real baseballs, it never, ever throws into the same spot. Plus, balls with larger seems will go higher and smaller seems lower. My bucket has balls of all kinds. I'd say 3 of 4 pitches are strikes, but all over the strike zone. I set it to around 83 power, this produces close to 55mph. I never go above that because the spin it puts on the ball is way too unrealistic. I have it set at 40 feet, so timing wise it's equivalent to about 80mph for 60ft baseball, and she's perfectly set if she tries softball. Speaking of which, she did try a fill in for softball a few weeks back. Timing was zero issue, she never faced a pitcher she felt was fast and never once swung without making contact, never struck out. The angle the ball came in was definitely an issue along with the light weight bats, but a few weekends and I don't think it'd be an issue. Still, I post all this just to say that I feel the pitching machine has been a massive part of her success at the plate. If I could throw 100 pitches right in the zone without issue, I never would have bought it. Sadly, I can't. :)

Oct 19, 2009
I've used a pitching machine for years IMO can be a valuable tool. DD hit for over a 400 average for 3 years in college and she and I think the pitching machine helped her to achieving her success.

IMO you need some type of way for a hitter to time the pitch coming from the machine. We hit from a pitching machine at Winners Circle in Fort Oglethorpe GA, the pitching machine drops the ball from a feeder into a chute which the hitter could see and time the incoming pitch. They have baseball speeds from 40 -50-60-70 MPH and softball pitching machines, the machines are warren and throws balls all over the strike zone which also helps. DD also hit some from an Iron Mike pitching machine which simulates a baseball pitcher, but does gives the hitter a way to time the incoming pitch.

In practice we used a Jugs single wheel machine, I would do an arm circle to simulate a pitcher's motion and drop the ball in the chute with the left hand trying to simulate a pitchers release point, takes some practice to get it, but you can get good at it. We would also do the Bond's drill which also helped DD a lot. I can also pitch, but the machine can throw faster than I can and be more accurate.

Always be sure be to behind a net for safety. :eek:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have had the Jugs Junior for 20 years. I never use it for hitting. I use it for outfield drills. I can get done in half the time, compared to a coach that is hitting pop flies.
If I do want the girls to hit off of a machine, I use the Lite Flite. It is awesome.

Aug 1, 2017
My DD's hitting coach loathes pitching machines. He said the timing gets messed up. I won't lie. When she was struggling with faster pitching, I did get her on one to crank it up and show her she could hit it, but only once or twice. I think it helped her understand what it meant when we would tell her to "time it up." But really, I would echo the response of others. Lots of tee work and side and front toss. Get the swing correct and they will learn the timing. They need to be working on their own as well. Hitting once or twice a week won't cut it. And keep with the live pitching. Maybe just a couple of at bats for each girl at the end of practice. Even if they don't hit it, it is good to see that ball coming at them at game speed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Spero Koulouras

Coach in Training
Aug 15, 2014
We use a Bata machine that has two independent wheels. It is much better than our jugs machines for several reasons. It never jams like jugs does. Batters can time the pitch much more consistently than with a jugs because of the way the feed ramp works. One wheel can be set to throw a change, the other a fastball, aimed at different locations. This machine is really just two single wheel machines packaged side by side and does not have the pitch variety of a 3 wheel machine, but it is affordable and I find the ability to change speed and location more valuable than throwing drop or rise for most of my 14-18u players. We also use it to fire ground balls, one-hops, low line drives and fly balls in various mixes. The two independent wheels add all sorts of variety to drills.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Ken Krause has the most complete and sensible answer. We use the jugs machine primarily for bunting drills.
It is a great tool for outfield practice as well, keeping all adjustments loose so you can have fluid change in
trajectory. I agree that hitting is best learned on a Tee, especially as the girls get older.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00