Bustos - Howard Carrier

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2010
I would love to hear anything that helped build her into the hitter she is. She did swing the heaviest sticks I've heard of and I know boulders dd swung heavy wood a lot.

We use the weighted gloves quite a bit in winter as opposed to heavy bats.

I really like the concept of heavier bats, my young gal loves her -10 Rocketflex, according to her while it scales 31/32 it swings heavier than a -9 rocketech that scales 31/33.

My older one is a bat speed freak, bought her a -9 Xeno, can't get her to put down the -10. Maybe this winter I will hide the -10 from her for a few months.

Oct 19, 2009
Westwind
Btw, Coach Bustos had time to talk to me and my kids at one of her clinics. We made an effort to not monopolize her time and picked an appropriate time to approach her but she practiced what she preaches and made herself available. Then we just stood and listened to her talk to the kids during breaks, my 11 year old picked up some awesome stuff that she started doing in games from the casual talk during a break.... I cringe at some of the unfair online comments about her because she was very generous with her time despite being very, very busy running a clinic.

The clinic DD attend she was very cordial and inspirational a great lady IMO, well worth the cost and trip to the clinic. Not to mention all the great information and tips she provided. :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I would love to hear anything that helped build her into the hitter she is. She did swing the heaviest sticks I've heard of and I know boulders dd swung heavy wood a lot.

We use the weighted gloves quite a bit in winter as opposed to heavy bats.

I really like the concept of heavier bats, my young gal loves her -10 Rocketflex, according to her while it scales 31/32 it swings heavier than a -9 rocketech that scales 31/33.

My older one is a bat speed freak, bought her a -9 Xeno, can't get her to put down the -10. Maybe this winter I will hide the -10 from her for a few months.

Which is different mentality than this -13 bat ...... The Coach Reviews & Ranks Fastpitch Softball Bats, Gloves, Mitts, Facemasks and Coaching DVDs

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I consider her a friend and have meant uncle Jesse. My youngest dd has been with her and her family and worked with us at her clinics with younger students. Understand she played baseball first. If you ask her you will find out it was Howard Carrier/hitter ( she called her hitting coach) that took her to the next level. Few can play at the highest level and teach. She can. Most of us take it as an honor for her to certify you as a Bustos hitting instructor.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
I don't necessarily agree with what Howard Carrier teaches, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for the success he's had.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I consider her a friend and have meant uncle Jessie. My youngest dd has been with her and her family and worked with us at her clinics with younger students. Understand she played baseball first. If you ask her you will find out it was Howard Carrier/hitter ( she called her hitting coach) that took her to the next level. Few can play at the highest level and teach. She can. Most of us take it as an honor for her to certify you as a Bustos hitting instructor.

For the record ... it is Jesse Rios.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Q. What factors do you feel have influenced you the most to become the player and you are today?
A. My Uncle Jesse who showed me that no matter what people say and even when you don’t have money you can find ways to work out and get better and achieve any dream you have.

Here is the actual ? and answer.
Some may find this funny. She started out as a slapper!

But two men in particular steered away from trouble and into the sport.

Her uncle, Jessie Rios, who died in 2000, used to drive from Venice to Canyon Country and transported her regularly to softball practice.

He was a profound influence on her.

"Whatever Jessie told her, it was law," George says. "If we had a problem with her - with school or talking back to me - he would tell her and he'd straighten her out."

The other man was Dale Moore. Moore wasn't just her softball coach. He was her mentor. He helped her transform her game. She was a 13-year-old slapper, but quickly became a player with a complete game with speed, power, defense and intelligence.

If anyone has ever attended a Carrier/Bustos clinic they start out saying " I did not teach her to hit, she already knew how to hit". He was her pesonnel hitting coach for 10 years and she will tell you Howard took me to the next level.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
FFS Complex may soon be joining Napoleon Complex in the pop psychology lexicon to refer to a hitting instructor who can not tolerate other instructors being recognized for contributing to a hitter's success.

Jul 11, 2009
Must be a pathetic life to feel so inadequate to have to try to discredit someone in every post they are mentioned in. We get it, you don't like his teachings or is it that deep down inside you are extremely jealous of his success? (No need to answer, we already know) Good God man, let it go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi