Bustos - Howard Carrier

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2012
I'd like to know what makes you feel good about his swing? The foot stomp? The way he spins? The way he lets go of the bat at contact? The way his head slams back towards the backstop and down towards the ground?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'd like to know what makes you feel good about his swing? The foot stomp? The way he spins? The way he lets go of the bat at contact? The way his head slams back towards the backstop and down towards the ground?

The foot stomp is cosmetic, why even mention it? it has absolutely nothing to do with a swing. As with letting go of the bat with one hand after contact....many MLB players do this as well, cosmetic. His head moving backwards is a good thing in general and you will notice this in many great hitters as well. His is not the most graceful, but that head move backwards is pretty important and indicates a good natural feel for power generation. Do you know what would happen if that head move isn't there? and by the way, the head move is just what you see it is more of a torso move to pull back and counterbalance the final impact portion of the swing without it you will lose power. As for the spinning...I don't know, I personally think there is a little more time in the zone in a great swing and not so much spin through the zone..

to answer your question about what I like about his swing it is mostly the rear hip and weight distribution. If there is one fundamental that I have come to fully agree with TM about it is that the power of the swing and the main driver is that rear hip action and getting around it and letting it drive and pull everything through. it is definitely what I feel in my swing.

That is not to say that I think it is a smooth pretty swing, just that I think it is good and does not deserve ridicule, just like I think Brit's is good and not deserving of ridicule.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
It's all cosmetic folks. Anyone who says otherwise is a surface surfing monitor jockey.... LOL

Now back to reality. Here's a quote from a friend of mine:
I told him that in his stance he needed to get his head in front of his belly button, on the pitcher side of his belly button and let his rear hip move under his head. Not to pull his head back over the rear hip. Basically, let the weight move forward.
Like this:
Votto_side.gif

Not like this:

So JJ, the one fundamental that you fully agree on is FULLY FLAWED. You see JJ, when you're a spinner, the only way to get the rear hip in front of the head,,,, is to snap the head back behind the rear hip.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Watch the great hitters (or golfers for that matter) and see how little the head (more specifically the eyes) moves during the period between heel plant and contact.

Dec 19, 2012
I'm not ridiculing the swing, just trying to figure out what you liked about it. If you like it then good for you. Personally, the things you find cosmetic and important I believe are detrimental to a swing but to each his own.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
It's all cosmetic folks. Anyone who says otherwise is a surface surfing monitor jockey.... LOL

Now back to reality. Here's a quote from a friend of mine:

Like this:
Votto_side.gif

Not like this:

So JJ, the one fundamental that you fully agree on is FULLY FLAWED. You see JJ, when you're a spinner, the only way to get the rear hip in front of the head,,,, is to snap the head back behind the rear hip.

I don't know where you get the statement "it's all cosmetic folks.....", that is clearly not what I am saying. What I am saying is that the way the foot goes down is cosmetic as is the one handed follow through after contact.

Are you saying that there is not typically a negative move right at contact in an elite swing? or that Brandon's is too exaggerated? As for the fully flawed fundamental, I will be sticking with it until I see some sort of explanation that is better, but so far, of all the material I have read and all the things I have tried, that simple explanation and focus is the one that rings the most true and it is what I will continue to teach my girls.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Watch the great hitters (or golfers for that matter) and see how little the head (more specifically the eyes) moves during the period between heel plant and contact.

and then watch how many have a negative move starting right before contact and continuing to just after. It is soooo common even in great hitters that I cannot even believe that it is a point of contention. The degree of Brandon's move is exaggerated and is too much, but I am not with the whole head still crowd, you can hit just fine with some negative move in the swing at contact.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
and then watch how many have a negative move starting right before contact and continuing to just after. It is soooo common even in great hitters that I cannot even believe that it is a point of contention. The degree of Brandon's move is exaggerated and is too much, but I am not with the whole head still crowd, you can hit just fine with some negative move in the swing at contact.
Sure JJ, the whole body is made up of pulleys and levers. And there is a small degree of counter-balancing that takes place. But as was quoted:
I told him that in his stance he needed to get his head in front of his belly button, on the pitcher side of his belly button and let his rear hip move under his head. Not to pull his head back over the rear hip. Basically, let the weight move forward.
You are promoting spinning.

Brndn062510_abc.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877