Bunts!...Exit Stage Left or Right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I’m not a big fan of having both the 1B and 3B charging on bunts all the time; I like to have all bases covered if I can.

Scenario 1 (no runners on) When there are no runners I typically do what most do...have 1B charge, 2B cover 1, SS cover 2, and 3B charge.

Scenario 2 (Any Runner or Runners on): When there are ANY runners on base, I typically do the same but instruct the 3B to play in “a little” but to NOT charge, but to turn and cover 3 instead once contact is made. 2B is at 1, SS is at 2.

I do this because I think having 4 players (P, C, 1, 3) barrel towards the ball is too much, can add hesitation & confusion and not necessary. Most P & C’s are quick good fielders and handle most bunts anyhow.

Aside from the first scenario, this also ensures all bases are covered.

Someone told me about his system, where he has ALL the infielders (1, 2, SS, 3) rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the batter being a right handed batter or a left handed batter.

When they rotate/move counterclockwise (or to their right), 1B stays at 1, 2B covers 2, SS covers 3, 3B charges. For Clockwise they rotate/move to their left…1B charges, 2B cover 1, SS covers 2, 3B covers 3.

I like this because it only has 3 converging on the ball and all bases are covered. And it’s easy to teach kids of all levels. If you have a righty up, you move to your right (counterclockwise)…if you have a lefty up you move to your left (clockwise)

Just curious if anybody else use this system?

Thanks,

T

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Different scenarios and different age groups require different schemes. For many situations I would have 1st base stay home and only have 3rd and pitch come in. Granted I had an excellent fielding pitcher and 3rdbase. But that allowed every bag to be covered. Sometimes I would have 3rd stay home and only have pitch and 1st field the bunt. With a runner on 1st, I have seen second creep up and charge the bunt along with 3rd and the pitcher covers 3rd base.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
With a runner on first, why not have 1B and 3B charge, and let the pitcher or third baseman (whoever recognizes first that she won't field the bunt) then peel back and cover third? Do you feel that a runner at first can get all the way to third before the 3B/P? It gives you an extra fielder for the bunt.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
With a runner on first, why not have 1B and 3B charge, and let the pitcher or third baseman (whoever recognizes first that she won't field the bunt) then peel back and cover third? Do you feel that a runner at first can get all the way to third before the 3B/P? It gives you an extra fielder for the bunt.

Yes, this is traditional...3B or P retreats to 3 is they don't get the bunt. Depending on age (12U) though, this assignment can be challenging for them to remember. One of the toughest parts to teach is that there is not just "One Play" to make when the ball is hit. It's tough for the younger girls to get in the habit of moving onto the secondary play..."Check the runners",,,"cover a base"..."backup"... the play never really ends until the ball is in the circle and the LBR comes into effect.

Most coaches will check to see if 3B is unnattended and have the runner on 1st motor all the way around without hesitation. At that point its a foot race to get to 3 for cover b/f the runner, get the throw from 1 and make a tag.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
With a runner on 1st, we typically charge all 3, then have either the P or 3B cover 3rd depending on who fields the bunt. We do have a designed play that all 3 charge and the LF covers 3rd trying to draw the runner for an extra base when they see 3B open.

With runners on 1st & 2nd, we may hold 3B back and have the P cover the left side. At 16, if they don't bunt the first 2 pitches we call it off because hitters will see that 3B is holding and will lay down a bunt on the left line.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I’m not a big fan of having both the 1B and 3B charging on bunts all the time; I like to have all bases covered if I can.

Scenario 1 (no runners on) When there are no runners I typically do what most do...have 1B charge, 2B cover 1, SS cover 2, and 3B charge.

Scenario 2 (Any Runner or Runners on): When there are ANY runners on base, I typically do the same but instruct the 3B to play in “a little” but to NOT charge, but to turn and cover 3 instead once contact is made. 2B is at 1, SS is at 2.

I do this because I think having 4 players (P, C, 1, 3) barrel towards the ball is too much, can add hesitation & confusion and not necessary. Most P & C’s are quick good fielders and handle most bunts anyhow.

Aside from the first scenario, this also ensures all bases are covered.

Someone told me about his system, where he has ALL the infielders (1, 2, SS, 3) rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the batter being a right handed batter or a left handed batter.

When they rotate/move counterclockwise (or to their right), 1B stays at 1, 2B covers 2, SS covers 3, 3B charges. For Clockwise they rotate/move to their left…1B charges, 2B cover 1, SS covers 2, 3B covers 3.

I like this because it only has 3 converging on the ball and all bases are covered. And it’s easy to teach kids of all levels. If you have a righty up, you move to your right (counterclockwise)…if you have a lefty up you move to your left (clockwise)

Just curious if anybody else use this system?

Thanks,

T

Being a lefty, I have found it a lot easier to bunt down the 3rd base line than to drag bunt. So if I'm up to bat, your shift to the left just gave me a base hit :)

IMHO pitchers should pitch and fielders should field just that simple ....I have always had 2 cover third and 5 cover home with 7 coming in to back up the throw?.. Now if i have my 1 cover third and a kid comes in hot and spikes my pitcher i might have more on my mind other than a girl going first to third on my team... Like who can i get to replace my #1......now if the ball is bunted back at her feet or somewhere close to it then by all means pick the ball up and make a play.....also I always have my catcher calling out who fields the ball and to what base we are going with the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch