Canisius/Niagara game right now

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
I've never seen this before. Umpires just spent 10 minutes during the game reviewing the rulebook. Bases were loaded. Infield was in. Batted ball passes the pulled in SS and hits the runner going from 2b to 3b. Field umpire 2 immediately calls dead ball. Then the 10 minute reading of the rule book ensues. Ultimately the umpires decide to call a "do over." The batter returned to the plate and continued her at bat at the same point in the count with the runners returned as well.

Attachments

• 20220508_191812.jpg
    20220508_191812.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 24
Aug 25, 2019
I've never seen this before. Umpires just spent 10 minutes during the game reviewing the rulebook. Bases were loaded. Infield was in. Batted ball passes the pulled in SS and hits the runner going from 2b to 3b. Field umpire 2 immediately calls dead ball. Then the 10 minute reading of the rule book ensues. Ultimately the umpires decide to call a "do over." The batter returned to the plate and continued her at bat at the same point in the count with the runners returned as well.
Huh?....If the ball passed the infielder and hits the runner, that's a live ball.

Dec 6, 2019
I'm well aware of that. I guess the 10 minute question is, what to do if an umpire calls a dead ball in that scenario? Their answer, after consulting the rulebook and considerable deliberation, was "do over."

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm well aware of that. I guess the 10 minute question is, what to do if an umpire calls a dead ball in that scenario? Their answer, after consulting the rulebook and considerable deliberation, was "do over."

Pretty sure in that instance, the umpires should place the runners where they feel they would have ended up if not for their error. I definitely don't think "do over" is ever the right answer.

In this case, they could've easily played it conservatively and just moved up everybody one base. Offensive team might not be thrilled if they thought the runner on second would've scored, but it's hard to get too mad about it.

Jun 8, 2016
Pretty sure in that instance, the umpires should place the runners where they feel they would have ended up if not for their error. I definitely don't think "do over" is ever the right answer.

In this case, they could've easily played it conservatively and just moved up everybody one base. Offensive team might not be thrilled if they thought the runner on second would've scored, but it's hard to get too mad about it.
"Do over" worked well in 5th grade recess....🤷‍♂️

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
WOWZAH
Do-overs are real...🤷‍♀️
Did they announce what page in the rule book that's in?!
Screenshot_20220509-054026_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

(Given now the offense can have an option on an illegal pitch that's hit. )
Maybe in this instance have the option of similar thinking??
Soooo agree on Applying runners...

Peculiar to take something away from a hit ball.

Seems like an advantage to the pitcher for the defenses debacle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28