bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Hi all, just checking to see if there is anything new on bunting. I found a post from 2010 in here teaching pivot and tilt the bat, which is what I do. Is this still correct?
thanks.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Bat above the ball. Body goes down along with bat/barrel.
inart091006b_bunt1.jpg

inart091006b_bunt2.jpg

1.Start at the Chin – To avoid popping up the bunt have your bunters start their bats at the top of their strike zone – which is just about at their chin. Too many hitters start their bats around their waist so they have to move up and down for pitches and when they move up it’s much easier to bunt the bottom of the ball – which is what causes a pop up. You can see in picture 1 how the bat is up by this bunter’s chin which puts it at the top of the strike zone.
2.Start Out, Give In – This means that the bunter should start her hands OUT away from her body, as in picture 2, and then Give IN as the ball hits the bat in order to soften the contact and keep the bunt from being too hard and going right back to the pitcher.
3.Move Down with the Knees – The bunter in picture 2 also shows you how a bunter should bend her knees in order to bunt a low pitch as opposed to reaching down with her arms for the ball. Your bunters should always try to keep the bat near their eyes and then move their knees down to the ball instead of moving their bat and keeping their body still in order to avoid popping the ball up or missing it completely.

Oct 27, 2015
What's your thoughts of tilting your bat more at a 45 angle to start verses more flat like the girls above?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD looks like a pretzel if she trys to get the bat level, I am OK and teach an angle.

The angle changes as they move down the zone, mostly knees but hands move too.

Last edited:

vol

Dec 10, 2015
I will say this for bunting, and this is probably more for the younger girls (10u, 12u) but may still apply to older girls:

Whatever technique you settle on, remember that practicing in a controlled environment (cage, BP, etc) is completely different than a game situation. There are two major variables that happen in a game that usually do not make an appearance in practice, especially the pregame cage sessions. First, usually in practice a coach is grooving the ball in there right down the middle and telling the batter to bunt. In a game, the pitch may be high, low, in, out, etc. So don't just groove them down the middle and expect their success in practice to translate to success in games. They need to learn to lay off the balls, but also be able to adjust if something is in the top, bottom, inside or outside of the strike zone.

Second, in practice the primary focus usually is on bunting the ball. In a game the batter's focus becomes fragmented - they want to get the bunt down, but also want to reach base. Also, somewhat related, they may have a girl charging from third or first and that motion may affect them. Biggest mistake I see with bunting is batters worrying too much about running before getting the bunt down. You can't get to first if you don't bunt it fair. Bunt first, run second.

In practice, especially in the cage, the batter is almost always getting a strike to bunt, and 100% focused on getting the bunt down. In a game, those other variables come into play. You need to discuss them and practice for them. How many times have you had a girl that gets all three, four or five of the "bunts" down in pregame batting cage session, then looks completely different and either pops one up or gets to two strikes in the game 30 minutes later?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Work on the Suicide Bunt.... throw them everywhere... remember when its called the runner is going... you have to lay it down from anywhere. :cool:

Here is one way DD is learning to go after anything....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4kuM2Sh_zHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1