Bunting stance open (squared up) or rotating (pivoting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2013
I'm a 25yr old female who has played fast pitch softball since I was 10yrs old. I am coaching an 11 yr old squirt team. I have NEVER seen an open stance (mlb/baseball stance) used for fast pitch bunting. The male head coach and two other male coaches of the team I am coaching are convinced this is the best sacrifice stance to allow the girls to 'see' the ball. I specified male because I believe they are getting this stance from men's baseball. They have also said that since everyone knows they're bunting it's okay to have them 'square up'. I think it looks crazy. They are in a horrible position to run, it creates difficultly pulling the bag back quickly, and it leaves their bodies more open to be hit by a pitch. These coaches are all about safety having the girls wear face masks on helmets and face masks in the field but they are willing to sacrifice the girls' entire body to a pitch coming from 37 ft away? It created a huge inconsistency with the other bunts that we are teaching them right now so I want the girls to be taught what's best for them.

What are your opinions on pro's vs con's of this stance to a rotating stance which I've always used/seen? Help me either debunk my own opinions or help me present a valid case to them. I've expressed my concern before but I need some help.

Aug 9, 2013
I teach the pivot at that age since they can bunt for a hit or sacrifice with a successful bunt.

When I was taught years ago, I was taught the open because we used it for sacrifices and not to get on base.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Don't sweat it. It just doesn't matter. I squared up all of my career. It was what I was taught. You may be correct, but for a young team, it is OK. Once they are getting bat on the ball correctly, then, take one or two and show them the different stance. Be more concerned that they don't wrap their top hand around the bat, that most of the hand hides behind the bat and that they use their knees, without swinging the bat towards the ball.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I believe it is OK in the younger ages, but in the older ages I want all bunts to look the same, meaning if you square around the defense knows your doing a SAC. Personally, I teach the pivot. Now when you pivot is the important part, depending upon what type of bunt your doing.

For the OP, you mentioned these male coaches have safety in mind, and you say they make the girls wear masks on their helmets.. ummm you haven't played/coached youth softball in quite a while. That is a rule not the coaches call.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Team USA coaching small ball. Bunting slapping. Google it great training DVD. Ran into this issue with our high school male coach. I showed him the DVD and it changed his mind on bunting. I like the step over and its the same footwork that we now teach slappers. You get the ball out in front of the plate.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm an old baseball guy but I do not prefer squaring around. For one, with short base paths there is more potential payoff if you put yourself into a better running position.

If they are all about safety maybe show them the video of the softball pitcher throwing a ball into the force sensor and utterly obliterating it. The bigger softball has more momentum, and it's a bit scary to me to be square to the pitcher from short distances.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA