Bunt Foul with 2 strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah I tell them if they pull back and its called a strike your getting bunt again lol! Some players are selfish. Breaking news right
Well if they are doing it because they don't want to bunt yeah that is a different story (doesn't mean it is good strategically..but that is the case about sac bunting in many cases..). I only know what I have seen on DD's team and if they are not bunting it isn't because they are not trying..

May 20, 2015
Yeah if the kid is a good bunter and the other failed attempt(s) were an aberration then sure. However a lot of the times there was a reason they didn't get the bunt down previously..

she was......a lot of times we called this she may have been swinging away, but felt her best chance with two strikes in that particular at bat was the bunt (it usually was)

i wouldn't call it with other batters a ton, but enough that the kids knew i would call it......

Jun 8, 2016
she was......a lot of times we called this she may have been swinging away, but felt her best chance with two strikes in that particular at bat was the bunt (it usually was)

i wouldn't call it with other batters a ton, but enough that the kids knew i would call it......
Yeah there are a lot of things that go into it..I am not a fan of sacrifice bunting in general (unless you know that the run you are trying to score is more than likely going to win the game..). If the statistics (or your eyes..) somehow tell you that your best chance of scoring the most runs with that particular hitter is to sac bunt (regardless of the situation) then you are best off not having her in the lineup if you have a choice..which I know is not often the case (eg having a choice..this isn't MLB ;))

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
If you get into ITB, if you have the lead off bunt the runner on 2nd to 3rd - we used that recently. We were home team during one and the other team didn't even try during the top of the inning. Then they ended up hitting into a line-out DP so no chance of scoring. Our girl up was not our strongest hitter but she got the bunt down on the first pitch.

I obv don't see it now (I still miss pitchers batting) but I'd seen pitchers in MLB try to bunt on 2 strikes and then not get it down.
My guess is the coach was worried about them hitting into a DP? But I would think that as a pitcher, you HAVE to be practicing bunting since you know you're gonna be used for that (or they were).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207