Bunt Attempt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
ASA 10u:

With 0 balls and 0 strikes, B1 squares around to bunt. As the pitch is coming in, she moves her bat towards the ball and then pulls it back before it reaches the plate. The ball does not enter the strike zone (it bounced right in front of the plate). The umpire calls a strike. He confirms that B1 did pull the bat back before the ball arrived, but because she had moved her bat towards the ball, it was a strike anyways. Is this correct?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
If the umpire judged that the movement of the bat was an attempt to hit (bunt) the pitch, then it's a strike.

This is very much an example of HTBT to see the action in order to make a judgement.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Well, she did move the bat towards the ball while it was coming towards her. Once she realized it was coming in too low, she pulled the bat back, and then it bounced in the dirt just in front of her.

What I meant by "move the bat towards the ball" was that the movement was more of an up/down motion versus front/back motion. I was always under the impression that you could pull the bunt back before the ball crosses, and, as with many things, that could be one of the softball/baseball myths.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What the myth is is that the batter needs to pull their bat back. It is my understanding that the batter needs to make an attempt to hit the ball. So if she has her bat at the top of the strike zone and the pitcher throws one low, if the batter doesn’t move her bat the umpire can still call it a ball even though her bat is in the strike zone.

I think I have that right. :)

Jun 22, 2008
What the myth is is that the batter needs to pull their bat back. It is my understanding that the batter needs to make an attempt to hit the ball. So if she has her bat at the top of the strike zone and the pitcher throws one low, if the batter doesn’t move her bat the umpire can still call it a ball even though her bat is in the strike zone.

Depends on the rule set. ASA does not require the batter to withdraw the bat, however, many other rule sets including FED, NCAA and I believe USSSA require the batter to withdraw the bat from the strike zone or the pitch will be called a strike no matter where it may be.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal

Yes, you correct (in ASA), that scenario is specifically covered in Rule Supplement 10. What I had, however, was that the girl moved towards it, then withdrew the bat before the arrival of the ball. It was called a strike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes