Building a U6 field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2013
Yep. That's our home field. We use the upper field for 6U and 8U softball, and LL T-Ball. The bases are 50'. It would be nice to have second full-size field, but this gets the job done for our little players to learn the game.

So here's a funny question - ever have an 8U clear that fence?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So here's a funny question - ever have an 8U clear that fence?

Yes! SyndreSoftball's DD (a teammate of my DD) went yard during a game in left-center where the fence is farthest from the plate, and has put a few over during practice. What you can't see from the pic is that the center section of fence on the small field is 10' high. It was an awesome blast for a little girl.

Now that I think about it more, the small field has base anchors for 50' and 60' bases.

Feb 21, 2012
I have been talking to the baseball groups in my area about this very topic recently. They are now using 45 feet base paths in the t-ball age groups. This is our local Babe-Ruth affiliate. Currently for our 6U's in softball we still use 60ft basepaths. I'm wondering if we should make changes.
I'm seeing a lot of 50ft on here in the responses which surprises me, because I figured that our baseball groups must be using a standard that I was unaware of. But maybe there is no standard?

Mar 24, 2014
Stopped at a nearby park that has a tee ball field. I walked off the distances (left my tape in my bucket) but they basically are close to the distances "quincy" stated above other than the backstop is maybe 12' deep. Agree with "qunicy" that 20' feet would be better. The outfield fence is about 100'.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have been talking to the baseball groups in my area about this very topic recently. They are now using 45 feet base paths in the t-ball age groups. This is our local Babe-Ruth affiliate. Currently for our 6U's in softball we still use 60ft basepaths. I'm wondering if we should make changes.
I'm seeing a lot of 50ft on here in the responses which surprises me, because I figured that our baseball groups must be using a standard that I was unaware of. But maybe there is no standard?

IDK, you need to figure out what works best for your area.

I think the players are going to get their hits if they put the ball in play; I am more interested in defense.

I am not sure what size ball you are using but 60’ bases makes for a long throw from pretty much everywhere if they play where they are supposed to. With 60’ bases I am thinking they are all playing way in. That just seems like a long throw from the left side of the field.

I am not sure you can compare it to BB because of the size of the ball they are tossing around.

Oct 22, 2009
Great looking fields!

A little off topic, but what are the rules to make parent participation mandatory?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great looking fields!

A little off topic, but what are the rules to make parent participation mandatory?

Our league does a "diner deposit" - $50 check submitted at registration. If you do your service, you get the check back at the end of the season. It's pretty effective. For people who elect not to serve their shift, the league uses those funds to hire local HS kids who get community service credits, and get a few bucks in their pocket.

Mar 21, 2013
I would make the infield regulation with a 30' Pitchers mound, 55' base anchors for 6U & 8U and 60' base anchors for the other divisions. Whatever is left will be the outfield. If done in this fashion then when your program grows and they let you expand to a full size field all you have to do is move the fence. The rest will already be in place, and with the majority of the field cost going into the initial building of the "mini" infield the future expansion will be minimal cost wise. Which, will be a great bargaining tool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13