Build a Pitcher: Spin, Speed, Spot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Ueno and Abott are both 100 in speed and I would go 75 in both spin and location

Osterman would be 90 spin, 80 speed 80 location.

That would be my best guess.
Even assuming we don't have to stick to the arbitrary 250 combined percentile points? In other words 1/4 of all pitchers (or maybe lets just stick with P5 D1 and Olympic quality pitchers) have better spin and control than Ueno and Abbott according to what you wrote. Not saying you are wrong, just clarifying.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Even assuming we don't have to stick to the arbitrary 250 combined percentile points? In other words 1/4 of all pitchers (or maybe lets just stick with P5 D1 and Olympic quality pitchers) have better spin and control than Ueno and Abbott according to what you wrote. Not saying you are wrong, just clarifying.
I was staying within the 250 point parameter. My answer would be different if you could go over the 250 points.

Jun 1, 2022
This will settle it. You have 250 percentage points to spread across three categories to build a pitcher from scratch: Spin, Speed, and Spot. Where do you place the points?

i.e. Spin 90, Speed 80, Spot 80

Let the games begin…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 1, 2022
Spot 90; Spin 80; Speed 80
This is my first year in about 35 or so that I umpired softball. I saw about 20 different teams and watched College Softball on Tube. My rational. if she can put the ball where she wants it, the batter will be changing eye all the time. The distance from mound to plate makes spin a unique thing. When you can spot it and spin it, where you want it, that means double trouble. So you have that going for her and then it is the ability to change speed. Oh vey! So that is why I gave up playing softball and will stick to umpiring.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Depends on the floor for speed. Cat used to cruise at 62 because her spin worked best there. But 62 is beyond most pitchers so which is more important, her spin or the fact that she could spin it at 62?

May 27, 2013
If we are talking about getting a pitcher recruited by a college, I’d have to add in the height factor. A 6’0 pitcher who can cruise at 60+ will get way more looks than a 5’6 pitcher who can throw with the same velocity.

Once in college, the spin and location will become more important - but the speed and body type will still be what gets the player on coaches’ radars (meaning can throw at that speed for strikes and are on the taller side).

ETA: Obviously there will be some of those kids outside of my example who make good D1 programs - like the 5’6 pitcher who can cruise at 65.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If we are talking about getting a pitcher recruited by a college, I’d have to add in the height factor. A 6’0 pitcher who can cruise at 60+ will get way more looks than a 5’6 pitcher who can throw with the same velocity.

Once in college, the spin and location will become more important - but the speed and body type will still be what gets the player on coaches’ radars (meaning can throw at that speed for strikes and are on the taller side).

ETA: Obviously there will be some of those kids outside of my example who make good D1 programs - like the 5’6 pitcher who can cruise at 65.
So basically what you are saying is that a majority of college coaches don’t know what gets college hitters out..a bit presumptuous of you no 😉 (and you are not the only person who has voiced that opinion on here..)

May 27, 2013
So basically what you are saying is that a majority of college coaches don’t know what gets college hitters out..a bit presumptuous of you no 😉 (and you are not the only person who has voiced that opinion on here..)

I think they have a hopeful idea. Like I mentioned on the other thread - I think many will take speed first hoping they can develop the spin and better spotting.

Jun 8, 2016
I think they have a hopeful idea. Like I mentioned on the other thread - I think many will take speed first hoping they can develop the spin and better spotting.
So if you want to have a chance to show that spin and spot are more important you better throw hard 😉

May 27, 2013
So if you want to have a chance to show that spin and spot are more important you better throw hard 😉

If you want the chance to pitch for a decent D1 program that has a chance to win their conference, then yes. 😉

If that wasn’t the case then why use radar guns at camps and showcases?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1