Bucket dad mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Turned 54 today..............:oops:, and for the first time ever I've been considering a mask. Anna's pitching coach also owns a dog kennel, her and her husband train and board dogs. They just built her a new two lane pitching building, it's an addition to the dog kennel and it's pretty nice! The one end where the catchers (and dads) are stationed is lit pretty well, but when the door is opened behind the pitchers with the light coming in, it can get pretty tricky at times!

In the over a year we've been in that building, I've been hit a couple of times but the one that stands out was on a great change-up! The floor is concrete, Anna's PC said that everyone who's taken a hard shot, the majority was on a short change-up that hits that concrete and reverses spin, that's exactly what happened to me. Very good change-up outside that landed almost on the outer front corner of the plate, perfect spot and exactly what I called for. I knew it was a short hop, just like the other million short hops I've caught before, when I reached for it. I knew where it "should" have been, it took a crazy hop off that concrete, jumped over my mitt and hit the back of my right index finger knuckle (throwing hand). I absolutely knew it was broken, it took 2 or 3 minutes to get it to straighten out!

Of course Anna and her PC couldn't stop laughing! :mad: Females are evil, there's something in a female fastpitch players DNA that thinks hitting a dad or a male coach is the funniest thing in the world, with NO concern to how bad they may be hurt!

Funny thing is the dad who was sitting beside me was completely kitted up, mask, chest, and shins. He calmly said "that a change-up?" I said yes, he just laughed and told be his DD broke his nose on a change-up about 3 or 4 months before we started going there! So yeah, I've been thinking about turning in my man card and buying myself a mask!
I have two daughters that pitch now so I went all in and bought a complete catchers set for old Pops. Good investment!!!

May 29, 2015
Marriard touched on a key piece of information: THROAT PROTECTION. Get appropriate catcher’s gear that has extended throat protection. (Or talk her catcher into coming to lessons with her for extra practice.)

Do NOT use a fielder’s mask or batting helmet with a face mask. They do not offer any throat protection. Yes, it would suck to take one in the face, but taking one in the throat is much more severe. I will stop players when I see them warming up a pitcher while wearing a fielder’s mask or batting helmet. (Others will disagree with me, I’m sure.)

Tangent — When I caught my daughter at lessons, I could never sit on a bucket. Maybe it was because I was a catcher back in the day, but I needed to be able to move and react. To me, sitting on a bucket exposes you more and limits your reactions.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
When the eye doctor prescribed the progressive lenses, I realized my catching was going to affected greatly. Fortunately I ordered my sunglasses with single vision lenses.

When Wilson stopped making the FX helmet, I found a large one used, and bought it thinking I'd put it away and wait for DD's little head to grow. I didn't realize that Wilson's large was for pumpkin headed guys like me. She'll never be able to wear it. Turns out that our rec league at the time started enforcing a "you can't warm up a pitcher without a helmet" rule. So, it came in handy anyway. I even took one in the mask when it hit the front of the plate, so it's paid for itself.

P.S.
When my DS started working on sinkers, I ended up getting shin guards. I wear these more than the helmet.

As for throat protection, I watched a girl take a thrown bat in the throat this weekend. It went right under that hockey style mask. Scary stuff.

Apr 28, 2019
When the eye doctor prescribed the progressive lenses, I realized my catching was going to affected greatly. Fortunately I ordered my sunglasses with single vision lenses.

When Wilson stopped making the FX helmet, I found a large one used, and bought it thinking I'd put it away and wait for DD's little head to grow. I didn't realize that Wilson's large was for pumpkin headed guys like me. She'll never be able to wear it. Turns out that our rec league at the time started enforcing a "you can't warm up a pitcher without a helmet" rule. So, it came in handy anyway. I even took one in the mask when it hit the front of the plate, so it's paid for itself.

P.S.
When my DS started working on sinkers, I ended up getting shin guards. I wear these more than the helmet.

As for throat protection, I watched a girl take a thrown bat in the throat this weekend. It went right under that hockey style mask. Scary stuff.
The problem with sitting on a bucket is you can’t reach the low/short pitches. My shins were taking a literal beating. Invested in full gear which helped out greatly. The only issue I had was while sitting on my bucket a pitch came in hard & low and hit my left big toe under the toe flaps. Hurt like hell!!! No matter how geared-up you are you can still get injured. Just trying to reduce the probability.

Dec 15, 2012
I use an umpire (old school catchers) mask. It easy to take on and off. I use it as needed when catching DD. She’s getting faster and stronger while I’m getting older and slower. Not a good combination....

May 22, 2013
Have took many to the shins and feet. I just turn my legs to the out side now. As far as a face mask a Rip It like the pitchers use would prob let you see the best.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA