Bucket dad mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2017
Im having a hard time seeing balls when catching Dd inside. I'm looking on Amazon
at masks. What's best a fielding mask or a catchers mask like the ump wears? I'm trying
to stay pretty cheap. Maybe $40 or less?

Apr 6, 2017
Catching probably isn't a great idea for me any more but I'll tough it out. I've taken a bad one to the shin and also seem to have a permanent dark purple toe nail now. I can deal with a lot but I'm not ok
with one to the face. About eye level up I'm about completely blind for some reason and in a shadowy room I'm a mess.

Apr 28, 2019
Im having a hard time seeing balls when catching Dd inside. I'm looking on Amazon
at masks. What's best a fielding mask or a catchers mask like the ump wears? I'm trying
Hi- I have poor eye sight. Many of the indoor facilities have bad lighting. I really don’t know how the girls can hit in such poor light.
Luckily our team has a new facility with excellent lighting. Makes a BIG difference for me.

Apr 28, 2019
Hi- I have poor eye sight. Many of the indoor facilities have bad lighting. I really don’t know how the girls can hit in such poor light.
Luckily our team has a new facility with excellent lighting. Makes a BIG difference for me.
I would get a catchers helmet. You can get one on EBay or clearance from better websites cheap enough. Just make sure you pick the right size. They come in youth, intermediate, & adult. Some come in small/med & med/large.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I would go old style catchers mask. They normally have a few available for sub-$50

If you go ebay, consider the All Star FM25 or FM25EXT (this one has more throat protection)- this is one of the most popular umpire masks and takes the good occasional hit well, has solid viewing field. Had a quick look now I saw several that you could buy and have shipped for less than $50.

Local Play-It-Again stores normally have options for sub-$50 as well

EDITL: OK - I had a quick rethink. Old style catchers mask means you have to TAKE THE HIT when it comes. If you tend to turn your head or duck down, go full hockey style mask. You get side protection you don't get with the old style masks - nothing worse then wearing a mask, turning your head and getting hit in the ear. You are probably adding $20-30 - something like an All Star MVP or a Rawlings Renegade would work.

If you resd this today - softball.com has a 40% off clearance items Memorial Day sale. You can get a Mizuno Adult Samurai helmet for $48. That is a DEAL.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
HQ4Sports has Several Easton masks on clearance for $49 and change.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Turned 54 today..............:oops:, and for the first time ever I've been considering a mask. Anna's pitching coach also owns a dog kennel, her and her husband train and board dogs. They just built her a new two lane pitching building, it's an addition to the dog kennel and it's pretty nice! The one end where the catchers (and dads) are stationed is lit pretty well, but when the door is opened behind the pitchers with the light coming in, it can get pretty tricky at times!

In the over a year we've been in that building, I've been hit a couple of times but the one that stands out was on a great change-up! The floor is concrete, Anna's PC said that everyone who's taken a hard shot, the majority was on a short change-up that hits that concrete and reverses spin, that's exactly what happened to me. Very good change-up outside that landed almost on the outer front corner of the plate, perfect spot and exactly what I called for. I knew it was a short hop, just like the other million short hops I've caught before, when I reached for it. I knew where it "should" have been, it took a crazy hop off that concrete, jumped over my mitt and hit the back of my right index finger knuckle (throwing hand). I absolutely knew it was broken, it took 2 or 3 minutes to get it to straighten out!

Of course Anna and her PC couldn't stop laughing! :mad: Females are evil, there's something in a female fastpitch players DNA that thinks hitting a dad or a male coach is the funniest thing in the world, with NO concern to how bad they may be hurt!

Funny thing is the dad who was sitting beside me was completely kitted up, mask, chest, and shins. He calmly said "that a change-up?" I said yes, he just laughed and told be his DD broke his nose on a change-up about 3 or 4 months before we started going there! So yeah, I've been thinking about turning in my man card and buying myself a mask!

Jan 28, 2017
New contacts, one for reading and one for distance. Went back and told the Doc just give me a pair that can see a softball. I can't read or tell who you are but don't lose the ball at the halfway mark and then see great spin anymore. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee