Bucket dad at a facility.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
dd played around with the idea using a hockey puck....but we hardly ever use it. I intended to reply with to the quote about the spinner but some how it didn't work....

Jun 29, 2013
eagle6, do you have a small stepping stool? The facility where we throw has one of those for anyone who wants to use it. Just a cheap plastic one but it is better than squatting for 30 minutes.

Nov 4, 2015
eagle6, do you have a small stepping stool? The facility where we throw has one of those for anyone who wants to use it. Just a cheap plastic one but it is better than squatting for 30 minutes.

Have one of those I can try. May also try catching from my knees. Just may have to invest in a mask. My mind says I can catch whatever she throws however my aging reflexes and her getting bigger and stronger have a different opinion at times.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Have one of those I can try. May also try catching from my knees. Just may have to invest in a mask. My mind says I can catch whatever she throws however my aging reflexes and her getting bigger and stronger have a different opinion at times.

As my DD was getting bigger, faster, stronger...I was getting older, slower, and blinder! It was a recipe for disaster and while I managed to make it through 18U without wearing a mask, there were several times I wish I had been wearing shin guards. I also learned the hard way to remove anything in front of me (home plate) whenever my DD was practicing drop balls.

Nov 29, 2009
I'm of the mindset that I've never seen a catcher use a bucket in a game. So I never used a bucket. I picked up some very stout foam mats that used to cushion some suspension parts that KIA shipped for a recall years ago. I knelt on a mat without using a mask or any other type of protection all the way through college. And beyond if I caught for a student to see what a ball was doing from the cathcer's perspective.

I took a handful of shots in the thighs or off of the body over the course of 12 years, nothing really serious though. I learned real fast how to read the spin and how to just defend myself on a bad pitch. The biggest thing is learning what a spinning ball in the dirt is going to do when it hits the ground.

Jul 22, 2015
One of my best discoveries ever: Soccer shin guards! Less than $10, can buy almost anywhere, and fit in the bucket. Still hurts if you get hit flush, but much better than nothing.

Nov 4, 2015
She gave me a black eye about a month and a half ago. But that one was a ricochet off my glove. Sometimes i wonder if she holds back because she is worried i may get hurt if she throws it bad. I'm going to ask her. May throw a mask on and see if it lets her turn it loose more.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My 6 gal bucket has a padded swivel seat lid, inside is very similar to JADs
1. throw down plate
2. 12 striped Dream Seam balls
3. cannon ball
4. double ball
5. hockey puck spinner
6. pocket radar
7. LS Big Daddy mitt
8. an old IPAD for slomo video analysis
9. dog clicker
10.spinright trainer

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
As my DD was getting bigger, faster, stronger...I was getting older, slower, and blinder! It was a recipe for disaster and while I managed to make it through 18U without wearing a mask, there were several times I wish I had been wearing shin guards. I also learned the hard way to remove anything in front of me (home plate) whenever my DD was practicing drop balls.

Nothing worse than a drop ball catching the front edge of the plate and ricocheting up into your kibble and bits! LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06