BU positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
And to answer your flippant question about that part of the game being ignored, no, it is not. Assuming the base umpire misses a pulled foot at 1B, the plate umpire has pulled foot responsibilities at 1B in the event of an appeal. That's regardless of wherever the base umpire is positioned.

I find this interesting debate and understand the thought process and analysis , now i am an observer not a participant but i find it very interesting in all phases MLN NCAA ASA NFHS on the higher levels.
Probably this was before most of your times in the sport and in a 2 man crew whether baseball or softball , HU had 3rd base. I see now that relative to my time, there are hardly any mobile officials in our area, hardly any young people are involved due to the levels that are required for experience. In softball runner on 1st we were always between 1st and 2nd, HU had 3rd. In HS baseball we were the same, and trailing play was alwys by one or the other.

Missed calls are part of the game, lead offs, close calls at any base, it just happens, Last night in the Brewers Pirates game, there was a wrong call by a full step, you could see the ump looking for the foot and waiting for the sound, sorry , i don't believe in that.

I saw one game, the base runner on 1st should have been out 3x with the same batter, it was a jv HS game, i really don't see how one can miss that, The reason is i was trained from an early age playing the infield it was my duty to watch and call it, then it was an appeal, of course now it's not.

Everyone knows there are sadly going to be game situations like these, but i don't prefer these standards.

I don't do officiate anymore as i have said, but it appears on the higher level there are going to be changes in the famous replays, which of course don't exist here only by discussion as "flippant as it is"!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And to answer your flippant question about that part of the game being ignored, no, it is not. Assuming the base umpire misses a pulled foot at 1B, the plate umpire has pulled foot responsibilities at 1B in the event of an appeal. That's regardless of wherever the base umpire is positioned.

No, the PU does not have that responsibility. Why is it that everyone who thinks trailing or helping with an extra set of eyes when possible constitutes a responsibility?

I find this interesting debate and understand the thought process and analysis , now i am an observer not a participant but i find it very interesting in all phases MLN NCAA ASA NFHS on the higher levels.
Probably this was before most of your times in the sport and in a 2 man crew whether baseball or softball , HU had 3rd base. I see now that relative to my time, there are hardly any mobile officials in our area, hardly any young people are involved due to the levels that are required for experience. In softball runner on 1st we were always between 1st and 2nd, HU had 3rd. In HS baseball we were the same, and trailing play was alwys by one or the other.

Been doing this since 1966, so I doubt it was before my time. PU still has 3rd base on lead runners and subsequent plays @ 3rd on batted balls. There is no way a PU can be in any type of decent position to make a call on a pick-off or steal.

Missed calls are part of the game, lead offs, close calls at any base, it just happens, Last night in the Brewers Pirates game, there was a wrong call by a full step, you could see the ump looking for the foot and waiting for the sound, sorry , i don't believe in that.

Just because something happens doesn't mean that should be that mistakes should be accepted as part of the game without making a best effort to avoid them.

I saw one game, the base runner on 1st should have been out 3x with the same batter, it was a jv HS game, i really don't see how one can miss that, The reason is i was trained from an early age playing the infield it was my duty to watch and call it, then it was an appeal, of course now it's not.

Have no idea what this is concerning.

Everyone knows there are sadly going to be game situations like these, but i don't prefer these standards.

I don't do officiate anymore as i have said, but it appears on the higher level there are going to be changes in the famous replays, which of course don't exist here only by discussion as "flippant as it is"!

Well, it would be nice to know which one of us is "flippant", but I have a feeling you don't care, that any explanation offered in any manner is going to result in the same response.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
No, the PU does not have that responsibility. Why is it that everyone who thinks trailing or helping with an extra set of eyes when possible constitutes a responsibility?

Like i said when and then that's the way we did it, worked great

Been doing this since 1966, so I doubt it was before my time. PU still has 3rd base on lead runners and subsequent plays @ 3rd on batted balls. There is no way a PU can be in any type of decent position to make a call on a pick-off or steal.

Yes it was before 1966

If he is a good official he can

Just because something happens doesn't mean that should be that mistakes should be accepted as part of the game without making a best effort to avoid them.

Have no idea what this is concerning. ???????????

Well, it would be nice to know which one of us is "flippant", but I have a feeling you don't care, that any explanation offered in any manner is going to result in the same response.

It was a response someone else made so if some one else cares to do it?
It appears you were more interested in zeroing in on me.

Ii is rather puzzling when a pitcher is in release mode and only a runner on 1st that the BU can miss a lead off prior to release 3X on the same batter, same inning. What other duties does he have at that point other than a check swing, and that happens after the early lead off.

I am not the only one "IN THE CHEAP SEATS " that are asking these questions.

If a 3 man crew is the only answer , it will be as is what you get is the best we can do, but we know that happens in a "6" man crew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1