Break-in and Maintenance of composite bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Ok, I broke down and bought my DD her first composite bat, Easton Synge 30/18.5 (-11.5 drop). Any suggestions on how best to break it in and maintain it. I have read when first using it to turn the bat a 1/4" or so after each swing to get a even break-in? Also, not to use it in the batting cages? Any other tips with composites?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I believe the "not to use in batting cages" comes from those dimpled balls. We always use composite bats in the cage, but I use regular softballs in the machine. For break in, just have her hit and hit and hit with it. Maybe a sleeve to protect it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I believe the "not to use in batting cages" comes from those dimpled balls. We always use composite bats in the cage, but I use regular softballs in the machine. For break in, just have her hit and hit and hit with it. Maybe a sleeve to protect it.

Does a composite bat become more "lively" or have a more "spring-like effect" after repeated use or is that a myth?

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
What's wrong with hitting them on dimpled balls anyway? I know everyone says not to, but WHY?

I have seen several Eastons broken due to cage use. If you send them in for warranty and the manufacturer sees dimple marks on them, they will reject the warranty claim.

Best bet...get a cheap aluminum bat in the same weight/length (or +1) for cage use and save the composite for the warm-weather games.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I have seen several Eastons broken period. I don't think cage use has anything to do with it. I don't understand why a dimple ball could cause more harm to a bat than a softball...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The term cages can mean anything from a new indoor facility, to the concrete floored ones that are outside at the go carts.

There is a brand new facility here with new softer balls, but the outdoor facilities most often have dimpled balls that sit out in the sun baking all day.

Check your warranty before you use the composite bat with cage balls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321