Bonds ... catching the ball with the bat.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I like small head drivers(old taylor made burner). The smaller club head helps me focus on the exact point of contact. Stiff shaft. I dont focus on the hands or handle, I use my entire body to get the club head where I want it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I like small head drivers(old taylor made burner). The smaller club head helps me focus on the exact point of contact. Stiff shaft. I dont focus on the hands or handle, I use my entire body to get the club head where I want it.

I like anything cut down 431/2 xxx stiff. Helps with a more boring flight through wind . But as the club gets shorter . The more you use your hands. Same goes for a short compact swing is fastpitch/baseball,using your body will not get you as short as you can be. Using your hands to recruit the body is optimal.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm all for "barrel centric" as well...as I define it, being consciously focusing on barrel path, and subconsciously controlling it with the hands/handle.

I still have a big problem with "swinging down to the ball" no matter how it's spun, when the first movement of the barrel is in the opposite direction to the ball (if one teaches "turning the barrel") from the "Position of Power" that Hudgens teaches or the RVP "connection point position" as you post often (if I understand that correctly as being the same).

So how does one teach a kid to "swing down to (or even 'through') the ball" from their initial launch position, if the barrel needs to start heading in the opposite direction before turning "to" or "through" it?

I think your "Around" (and eventually "Along") is a far better representation of the barrel path, than any that by simple word definitions puts the wrong initial direction in developing hitters' minds.

"Barrel path" is key to getting the swing we're looking for, and anything that's "knob" or "hand" centric is a very difficult teach of the majority of young hitters to wrap their head around, and get correct. JMO...other's MMV.

Prior to joining the various forums, my view was more 'hand centric'. As I started reading here and elsewhere, I started changing to 'barrel centric'. As I continue to learn, I find that hand path and barrel path are both important parts of the swing. If a hitter can create the hand path I am looking for AND create the right amount of torque, the desired barrel path will be the result.

When working with hitters, I find that each has different ways of looking at things. I try to modify my instruction to fit how they understand the principles.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Prior to joining the various forums, my view was more 'hand centric'. As I started reading here and elsewhere, I started changing to 'barrel centric'. As I continue to learn, I find that hand path and barrel path are both important parts of the swing. If a hitter can create the hand path I am looking for AND create the right amount of torque, the desired barrel path will be the result.

When working with hitters, I find that each has different ways of looking at things. I try to modify my instruction to fit how they understand the principles.

Spoken like a good teacher.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
At least everyone agrees , hand path/barrel path are at the top of the list when it comes to teaching hitting. I feel my hands when I swing/hit . So that's how I teach it.

I would like to here how you go about teaching a barrel approach ffs/fp26? I'm always up for being schooled .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish