Bonds ... catching the ball with the bat.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Do you consider the handle that remains in Puig's hands to be launched?
Heck I don't know...I don't teach launching the handle, so don't know how guys who do define it. In my world, Puig "launched the barrel" at the ball, then at the last fraction of a second changed his mind, tried to stop it, and that was the end result.

EDIT: I just see the above as that, if he was simply "launching the swing" (whatever the heck that means :confused:), and was going to be "launching the barrel" sometime after where his hands stopped in that clip...his barrel would not have done that. Again, JMO...and terminology.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm advocating the hand path and the loaded barrel. Do you not see the loaded barrel via radial deviation? That's what I believe in.

So do you teach a 'no hands' approach like Donaldson said? Serious question.

I teach the hands turning the barrel to the ball. I want the hands moving in a relatively direct line from rear shoulder to contact. I do not teach push the knob out front and then bring the barrel around to contact.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Heck I don't know...I don't teach launching the handle, so don't know how guys who do define it. In my world, Puig "launched the barrel" at the ball, then at the last fraction of a second changed his mind, tried to stop it, and that was the end result.

EDIT: I just see the above as that, if he was simply "launching the swing" (whatever the heck that means :confused:), and was going to be "launching the barrel" sometime after where his hands stopped in that clip...his barrel would not have done that. Again, JMO...and terminology.

Good enough.

Do you see the 'handle' as being 'released'?

I don't. I see that as why the barrel is broken.

One way to view the swing is the working/turning/orbiting/arcing of the barrel ... which will have the barrel 'turning' in a direction 'around' the rear forearm (in the direction of supination) ... then during the barrel (not the hands, but the barrel) throw/swing down (or if you prefer the 'out' in "barrel up and out") the barrel will also continue in the direction of supination(due primarily to the earlier forces to establish supination) ... but in this case there was no 'release' (which was really all 1CA meant by 'barrel launch' ... 'release').

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We just might be...and simply use different approaches to accomplish the same thing(s). You wouldn't happen to be in SoCal would you? I've been known to meet up with some forumers just to talk shop, and exchange ideas in person rather than trying to get our points across with written words, and gifs. Be cool to meet up somewhere and shoot the breeze if we're not across the country from each other, and you have the time (and interest).

I've also got a little something else that puts much of this in perspective that I've used with even some MiLB hitters I got the chance to work with, and they liked it a lot that I'd like to share with you as well. Has to do with "over" and "under", but I'll leave it at that for now (I know some have already heard it from me, but I've got to leave a little mystery here to make it fun :p :D).

I'm always up for learning. Even if it's from the likes of YOU! (Sarcasm). I'm from S. Cali.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Your response to this ....

.... was this .....

Stupid? Lying? Misrepresentation? Take your pick.

Really? Haven't I shown you respect? Belittling much? Check a few posts after when you said Pujols does show direction and you said was VERY IMPORTANT that he does that early. What part are you not comprehending? Stay classy. Or ignore me please. This is first and foremost. If you don't have any discipline with your posts, you don't have me as an audience.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I teach the hands turning the barrel to the ball. I want the hands moving in a relatively direct line from rear shoulder to contact. I do not teach push the knob out front and then bring the barrel around to contact.

Ok. Sounds close to what I teach. A direct line is the desired result in both our models .The hand position is a no teach to me when direction is established early. That gives the body time to get 'in front'. So the body can aid the hands in delivering the barrel. But your description doesn't match what Donaldson said. See what happens here. I'm not gonna beat a dead horse . Not my style. I will try to understand what you mean instead.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Really? Haven't I shown you respect? Belittling much? Check a few posts after when you said Pujols does show direction and you said was VERY IMPORTANT that he does that early. What part are you not comprehending? Stay classy. Or ignore me please. This is first and foremost. If you don't have any discipline with your posts, you don't have me as an audience.

Yes, really ... you lied and where caught.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

How do you go about teaching , turn the barrel? Is it with the hands? With the knob? Barrel?

How does the barrel get into a direct line to the ball?

Shoulder plane? Front elbow plane?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma