Bonds ... catching the ball with the bat.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I will tell the player, show me knob down to the ball (ball on outside corner)( me physically holding a ball on the outside corner).They will look at me funny. Then I'll say from there get the barrel down to the ball( with the rule of down to) Wala! Proper release and extension and POC is realized ...( done slowly dry) I will move the ball to the inside corner, show me knob to the ball there. Then show me proper release . Then I'll put on a tee, do Ryan braun drills(hands only). The outside pitch becomes the easiest thing ever( one students words). Sometimes the net drill will need to be implemented to feel the inside path better. I will do deep tee to help feel direction further down the line as well. Then after the hands I will implement a coil with sequence . In my exp. they are whipping by the end of the first lesson. There not done learning but they are definitely better than when they came. I work with 16s and 18s so they are further along mentally than the little ones. I teach it the way Albert Pujols demoed w Harold Reynolds on MLB network along time ago.

I don't mind lasering the ball... but I teach to stay through it, don't just slice through( hopefully makes sense ).I don't wanna sound like a jerk. But that told me that he just learned about hand path last year. Tsk tsk. Correct me if I'm wrong but I hadn't heard anything about handpath in his model until the lasering cue.

I basically use 1CAs model. With a few others tips and absolutes.

Pujolsdemo1.gif

Pujolsdemo2.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If it is working for your hitters then that is all that matters in the end. I do believe the pros feel like they are doing what they say are doing, ,whether that feel actually translates into what they actually do in a game swing is a different story imo. This may not be a great example but if somebody asked you to explain how you formed words you could probably give an explanation of what you feel but unless you studied physiology you probably wouldn't be entirely correct. Most of these guys have hit well all of their lives, long before they probably ever took a look at their swings.[/QUOTE

Yes and no. But that's a whole different thread.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If it is working for your hitters then that is all that matters in the end. I do believe the pros feel like they are doing what they say are doing, ,whether that feel actually translates into what they actually do in a game swing is a different story imo. This may not be a great example but if somebody asked you to explain how you formed words you could probably give an explanation of what you feel but unless you studied physiology you probably wouldn't be entirely correct. Most of these guys have hit well all of their lives, long before they probably ever took a look at their swings.

Yes and no. But that's a whole different thread.

If you are recommending this here, then it shouldn't be a different thread.

Pujolsdemo2.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How is this here ....

Pujolsdemo3.gif

Different from this here ....

Pujolsdemo2.gif

Ok. Why do you think Harold had to bring the ball to Albert for the demo? Haha.

Answer: Because of the confusion in this very thread. That's why I teach it the way Harold demoed. So you can see what 'knob to the ball' truly means. Thanks for the GIFs ffs.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I've had too many "knob/hands to the ball" hitters come to me when they couldn't catch up to above 12U pitching simply because most kids are too literal in their application of cues, and some coaches actually have some of them doing this (not saying you do)....

PMhMwK7.gif

I am impressed. For the life of me I didn't think that is what Work=Wins was promoting ... but it is my current opinion that he is promoting this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd