What's your crazy travel like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Okay, I finally finished our 2022 softball journey last night when we returned from a college camp. I wanted to see just how much traveling, flights, and nights in hotels it actually was, so I finally did the math. Here's what I can up with:

I spent 31 nights in hotels and took 7 roundtrip flights with her. She spent 50 nights in hotels and took 11 roundtrip flights in 2022. This was just my younger daughter. My older daughter graduated from HS in June, so there was no travel ball for her after July.

To say I need a break would be the understatement of the year. I won't do the math on the cost since that would just depress me.

What are your travel numbers, DFP?

May 20, 2016
My DD used to do the national thing. We got over it after one year. Realized i spent a years worth of college tuition on travel and had a self reckoning.

This past year was pretty easy. 15-16 nights in hotels, and 0 flights.

Dec 19, 2021
DD spent 38 nights in hotels including recruiting trips. Only 3 flights, but 8500 driving miles not including the multiple 100 mile round trips to the "local" tournaments. All since June.

We are also ready for a break. Just one more road trip in January then the HS break starts.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's team had the luxury of not having to travel at all during the fall. All the events were local to the Houston area. Coach said there is no reason to travel during the fall, since many of players were attending on campus camps and doing visits and didn't want the parents spending too much money. Replenish the bank accounts for the upcoming summer. I was thankful.

Jun 8, 2016
We went to TX a few times, AR, Tulsa twice and CO. So maybe 20 hotel nights(CO was a weeks worth). No air travel. Will be more hotel stays in 2023 but still no air travel.

Nov 9, 2021
Reading all that just hurts my bank account. Just reinforces to me that you better be doing it because you love it and enjoy the time with your kid/kids. Because you could pay for college twice if you just invested all the money from travel ball after about 14u. But if my kid wants to keep doing it we will, I will just have to finish paying for it after she goes away to college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The fields I drive to now are 4 and 6 miles away 🙂
Instead of 40 and 60 miles away 🙃

For all that College Bound traveling every one does too bad it can't be more of a tax write off.

Jun 8, 2016
I’ve said before but before TB we used to go to HI every summer for a few weeks to visit the in-laws so up to this point I have been saving money with TB..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802