Blocking from No-Runner-On Stacne

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
When I first start working with catchers on blocking, we work from a high-hip, runner-on stance. Getting the block down with runners on base is first priority. Often catchers, parents and especially coaches want to know why we aren't working on blocks from a low-hip no-runner-on stance. It's important to understand the process of learning to block effectively in game conditions takes months and hundreds of pitches. It is much more difficult to successfully lay down a block from a low hip stance. The priorities for this block are substantially different as well....

While catchers are taught first to block from runners-on stance to prevent runners from advancing, (It's easier to learn from this position as well) blocking from a no-runner-on stance is important as well. The catcher's goal is to protect the umpire (This is a story in itself!) and keep the pace of play going. Don't get too excited if this blocking takes a little longer to develop. No runners will advance or score.... It is more challenging for catchers to block from a low-hip stance. Often catchers working on their runner-on-stance blocking will find they automatically block from no-runner-on with little or no practice. It's the same technique. The throwing hand can stay behind the body during this block to keep it protected from an inadvertent bad hop from the pitched ball.

In the sequence below, ACC catcher Emily lays down a very nice block from her no-runner-on stance at a recent tournament. Notice her throwing hand stays back until the ball is in her glove.

IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg

Also notice Emily's discipline in keeping the thumb of her throwing hand tucked in throughout the block. You can check out my DD's (Mackenzie) two handed block from NRO stance as well. Once your catcher is used to blocking from RO stance, throw some balls in on her when she is in NRO stance and see what happens. They will be very surprised at how well they do if they haven't practiced it before. ;)

[video=youtube_share;spPWnahktv4]http://youtu.be/spPWnahktv4[/video]

Aug 14, 2013
I have noticed that when my DD blocks from this position, she tends to end up with her caboose almost sitting on her feet. Particularly when she has to move to the side and sometimes gets a stinger on the inside leg. I think this is because she is kicking her feet straight back. The catcher in the video looks likes she is pushing up a bit before kicking her feet back. I'll have to look at DD more closely next time.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have noticed that when my DD blocks from this position, she tends to end up with her caboose almost sitting on her feet. Particularly when she has to move to the side and sometimes gets a stinger on the inside leg. I think this is because she is kicking her feet straight back. The catcher in the video looks likes she is pushing up a bit before kicking her feet back. I'll have to look at DD more closely next time.

From this position, they don't have a choice. They must go up a little bit first otherwise they don't have enough room/leverage to kick the feet back and clear the hips.

Jul 20, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Good stuff! My daughter's catching coach uses the phrase "knees replace the feet" to help her understand importance of pushing feet back to get them out of the way as the knees go straight down to generally where the feet were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1