Bleacher Talks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Do you really think this lady wishes the coach had broken the thumb of any player? It might have been a bit crass for her to say that, but if you think she really meant that the coach should have "chosen" which player to hurt, I think you are way off. She is in the same league as the person who says, which arm did she hurt I hope its not her pitching hand. Certainly they don't mean that they want the child to be hurt, just on the glove side.

Taking this in the worst possible way the woman comes across as worrying about the team more then the child. While we want our team parents to care about all of the kids, when it comes down to it many care about the competitiveness of the team over the individual players. Should you be disgusted by that attitude, sure. But to be so personally offended and want to run to the coaches and complain about the lady, I don't see the benefit. On the other hand she might have been trying (and probably failing) to make a clumsy joke to make the coach feel better about hurting his own child.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Being a long-time coach, when I am watching a game I sit
far far away from the bleachers as the drama is too much for me

Yep, when not coaching you can normally find me hanging by the fence way down one of the base lines.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Yep, when not coaching you can normally find me hanging by the fence way down one of the base lines.

They should put in bleachers for us down the baselines! Call it the coaches who aren't coaching section. Some parents can go sit there while their dd pitches or has a turn at bat.

Like everyone said, I think this parent made a bad joke. Don't make yourself miserable because of it. If not, they will do or say something much worse shortly, and show their true colors.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
One of my favorite things to do (before people figured out who he was) was to send my dad into the bleachers while I was coaching. Since the parents didn't know him, the things he heard were very interesting.

Oct 19, 2009
One of my favorite things to do (before people figured out who he was) was to send my dad into the bleachers while I was coaching. Since the parents didn't know him, the things he heard were very interesting.

My wife is also pretty good about hearing things. Last year an opposing coach approached one of our parents early in the season and tried to recruit his daughter right in front of my wife. She didn't say a word and neither did the parent. I did have some fun with that one.

One thing you can take as consolation in all this drama. As the kids get older the parents mellow out and there is a lot less of this. At least in travel. Get into school ball with rookie parents and it starts all over again.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My wife is also pretty good about hearing things. Last year an opposing coach approached one of our parents early in the season and tried to recruit his daughter right in front of my wife. She didn't say a word and neither did the parent. I did have some fun with that one.

One thing you can take as consolation in all this drama. As the kids get older the parents mellow out and there is a lot less of this. At least in travel. Get into school ball with rookie parents and it starts all over again.

Or just stay in rec ball and it never stops...LOL

Apr 15, 2012
Just want to put this out there: What you think the coach of the team you beat at the tournament might would have said?, but as a coach and my DD playing on my team who did break her a finger last year during a 8 win winning streak in the 8u division I did hear some conspiracy theories from the bleachers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877