Biting tongue at HS-run clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I hope to develop this strategy soon , before my lack of patience with this school coach startsto bypass my filter...

Here's the perfect strategy. During middle school she's a lefty slapper hitting down on the ball, preserving her righty swing for TB and post-middle school. (If she's a lefty, ignore the above and start drinking heavily)

Oct 25, 2009
I hope to develop this strategy soon , before my lack of patience with this school coach startsto bypass my filter...

Discuss it with the coach at an appropriate time. Let the coach know how much time and money you have put into developing your player. Convince the coach that you are interested in contributing to the coach's success. You may have to convince the coach that you believe in what the coach is trying to accomplish and that your DD is eager to be a part of it.

In other words, you have to be a good salesperson.

If that doesn't work you may just have to let time remove any doubts. Good news is that she has a good softball future regardless.

Dec 9, 2011
Just a little info just because they played D1 doesn't make them a good instructor. We hear one side and try to come up with an answer. How many Coaches on here that has heard this before from a parent. Cyclone she has two choices play jv and prove herself or quit. I still think your more upset over her playing jv and not varsity. I saw from previous post her swing.. you state your rebuilding her swing? Are you still in the process? Would like to see what this new instructor is changing.

Feb 14, 2010
IMO you need to stay on your current path, you've seen what a good swing looks like and you are learning how you teach it correctly. You have to look at the big picture, which I'm assuming is HS & hopefully college. I know it means a lot to her now but we are talking about middle school. With the last video you posted she still had a lot of work to do, maybe with her being on JV it will allow you two to focus on her swing without the pressure to produce right now.

Jan 24, 2011
IMO you need to stay on your current path, you've seen what a good swing looks like and you are learning how you teach it correctly. You have to look at the big picture, which I'm assuming is HS & hopefully college. I know it means a lot to her now but we are talking about middle school. With the last video you posted she still had a lot of work to do, maybe with her being on JV it will allow you two to focus on her swing without the pressure to produce right now.

We plan to stay on our current path. She and I were just more pissed off that it was held against her that she has a private instructor and the swing being taught to her isnt the same thing that this MS "coach" wants to see. Oh well , thanks to you guys for listening to me vent and rant. Nothing we can do at this point but work. So , this will be the last you hear about this from my side.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
I have a related question, maybe it should be its own thread.

How many travel coaches/programs out there have good relations with local high school coaches. I know sometimes good travel teams pull from many high schools, so not possible. And also at times there are multiple travel teams feeding a high school, and those teams are competitive/antagonistic.

But if your team feeds into one or a couple of high schools, do you have a relationship? Could you/should you have one?

If so, might that not relieve some of these issues? It would also make it so parents wouldn't have to negotiate these issues out, it could be handled coach to coach.

Just a thought. Our current team/head coach is working on building a relationship with our local high school program. We already share a pitching coach and are going to co-run some clinics this summer, it looks like.

I know some high school coaches would say no to this. And many travel coaches don't think much of high school coaches.

But this seems a real opportunity for making both sides better and helping out the kids as well.

Just curious what others' experience has been.

Dec 9, 2011
I know alot of good coaches and good instructors that never played softball but played a little baseball... I think some are your D1 coaches...... You should know several of them.... Just look them up... (not to mention names)... there bad coaches that played and havn't played... what makes a good coach? Shoot on here you see so many ways of doing one thing if it's pitching, hitting, running so on. Who is right? You have people jumping from one instructor to another instructor just like they jump from one team to another team. So who is right? Sometimes people who have played the game have one way, the way they learned or was taught and they won't change for nothing... you have to do it there way because that's the way they was taught and played..but that's not always the way that helps that athlete.. so who is right? what makes one coach wrong and one coach right? You see it all the time in sports.. Coach looses at one school goes to another school and wins??? Why?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Definitely a constant battle and hard to bite my tongue. Middle School Coach (Guidance Counselor) , told me that my DD was placed on the JV team instead of Varsity due to the fact that she was "resistant" to change her swing from the way her private hitting coach does things to the way they want them done.

Cyclone - this would be a big concern for me that she is being labeled by the coach as difficult. Sometimes players need to be smart about voicing their concerns especially to the coach. No matter how good a player is, if they have a perceived "attitude" problem, it will hold them back.

She needs to do damage control with the coach, make the most of this season, and look to the bigger prize (next year and beyond). She is stuck with a bad coach right now, it happens. Play the game and move on.

Jan 24, 2011
Cyclone - this would be a big concern for me that she is being labeled by the coach as difficult. Sometimes players need to be smart about voicing their concerns especially to the coach. No matter how good a player is, if they have a perceived "attitude" problem, it will hold them back.

She needs to do damage control with the coach, make the most of this season, and look to the bigger prize (next year and beyond). She is stuck with a bad coach right now, it happens. Play the game and move on.

I actually have spoken to the coach about this. The coach told me that there is no attitude or disrespect from my DD. Only that she is a bit "resistant" to change her swing to the way the "coach" thinks she should be swinging.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I actually have spoken to the coach about this. The coach told me that there is no attitude or disrespect from my DD. Only that she is a bit "resistant" to change her swing to the way the "coach" thinks she should be swinging.

Well, if you were comfortable enough to discuss that with the coach, then I'm surprised you would be reluctant to take it one step further in a civil fashion. Whether that means indicating that she takes lessons from Coach X and/or is working on achieving a high-level swing like (fill in the name of a well known college or pro SB player here) and/or tell the coach she is a visual learner and ask the coach if there's a college/pro player she would like your DD to use as an example and/or provide the coach with a link to the model swings thread here in the DFP to pick out that example player (don't forget to delete this thread if you do that!)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA