Biting tongue at HS-run clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

That is unbelievably the most sense making post I have read on here in a long time.

We HIGHLY recommend all of the girls on our travel ball team have an outside hitting instructor so the instructor can help her develop a swing that is best suited for her. There are hundreds of swing variations and most coaches are NOT fastpitch hitting instructors!

Dec 9, 2011
Cyclone are you more upset over your kid being put on JV or there wanting to change her? Also without seeing a video of your child hitting maybe there might be a reason to change her that they see? Just because she goes to a hitting coach doesn't mean that hitting coach is any good. I know of alot of people who call themselves hitting instructors that are pretty bad. With all due respect I see a angry parent. Sometimes parents don't want to see certain things about there own kid. Again not to be mean, maybe you could put a video of your daughter hitting and these guys can see if there is anything to change or need help with. But without seeing a video I don't sere how we can argue one way or the other?

Jan 24, 2011
Cyclone are you more upset over your kid being put on JV or there wanting to change her? Also without seeing a video of your child hitting maybe there might be a reason to change her that they see? Just because she goes to a hitting coach doesn't mean that hitting coach is any good. I know of alot of people who call themselves hitting instructors that are pretty bad. With all due respect I see a angry parent. Sometimes parents don't want to see certain things about there own kid. Again not to be mean, maybe you could put a video of your daughter hitting and these guys can see if there is anything to change or need help with. But without seeing a video I don't sere how we can argue one way or the other?

Look , you are way off base here. If I thought they were changing something that would help her out , then I would be OK with that. But , the fact is that the coach is just a Guidance Counselor that happens to coach the middle school team. She knows very little about the game and her only experience is coaching an 8u team. This hitting coach that my DD is going to is an experienced hitting coach that has a really good reputation and has coached as an assistant at the D1 level. I am going to trust her. Also , I have posted mulitiple videos on here. They have been analyzed and I have gotten tons of help. That is why I decided to not and try to teach her myself any longer and found a quality coach for her. Just for the record , the school "coach" says she has a "Baseball swing" and wants her to swing on a downward path at the ball.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Look , you are way off base here. If I thought they were changing something that would help her out , then I would be OK with that. But , the fact is that the coach is just a Guidance Counselor that happens to coach the middle school team. She knows very little about the game and her only experience is coaching an 8u team. This hitting coach that my DD is going to is an experienced hitting coach that has a really good reputation and has coached as an assistant at the D1 level. I am going to trust her. Also , I have posted mulitiple videos on here. They have been analyzed and I have gotten tons of help. That is why I decided to not and try to teach her myself any longer and found a quality coach for her. Just for the record , the coach says she has a "Baseball swing" and wants her to swing on a downward path at the ball.

Okay ... that got me to laugh.

This issue you are facing doesn't go away. There is plenty of bad hitting instruction at the college level ... tons in fact. Sooner or later you'll need to adapt a strategy to deal with this.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I've seen several instances of players performing drills in which the intent of the drill did not carry forward into their game-swing. Sometimes that was an unfortunate observation ... and sometimes it was a fortunate observation.

In fact ... many drills carry the potential to capture an improper aspect of what is taking place while performing them. Actively concentrating on the portion of the drill that you wish to extract benefit from, is important. Many believe that the use of one's brain, to emphasize what it is they wish to extract from a drill, can speed up the learning process by a factor of at least 3X ... and in fact make all the difference in terms of what is captured. Likewise, simply going through the motions ... which is basically what happens when a hitter doesn't buy into the drill, reduces what they actually extract from the drill.

The reality is that it takes considerable effort to change one's movement patterns. When you get in the batter's box and see a FB coming at you, you will often resort to a particular movement pattern ... and much of that is determined by one's pre-swing activities ... that is, the actual swing is quite easy to replicate (that goes for a 'good' or 'bad' swing) ... the swing itself is a piece of cake ... the reality is that much of the struggle is in the loading phase of the swing. And to be clear ... much of the pre-swing activities that take place, that actual influence the outcome, begin to take shape prior to you actually seeing the FB coming at you. In other words ... many people don't train within a wide enough scope to truly capture changing one's movement pattern.

Performing a drill is one thing. Embedding what a drill is meant to advocate into one's movement pattern is another thing.

When your daughter performs drills ... she is in control of what her brain is focusing on.

Last edited:
R

RayR

Yeah, a little self serving, lol.....But, I am also a coach of HS and travel teams so I do recognize the futility in trying to train 12-15 hitters and also put in the time to work on all the other facets of the game....

Said the man running the training center -- lol, just kidding MTS, couldn't resist :D

Sep 17, 2009
Yeah, a little self serving, lol.....But, I am also a coach of HS and travel teams so I do recognize the futility in trying to train 12-15 hitters and also put in the time to work on all the other facets of the game....

Fair enough, lol

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've seen several instances of players performing drills in which the intent of the drill did not carry forward into their game-swing. Sometimes that was an unfortunate observation ... and sometimes it was a fortunate observation.

In fact ... many drills carry the potential to capture an improper aspect of what is taking place while performing them. Actively concentrating on the portion of the drill that you wish to extract benefit from, is important. Many believe that the use of one's brain, to emphasize what it is they wish to extract from a drill, can speed up the learning process by a factor of at least 3X ... and in fact make all the difference in terms of what is captured. Likewise, simply going through the motions ... which is basically what happens when a hitter doesn't buy into the drill, reduces what they actually extract from the drill.

The reality is that it takes considerable effort to change one's movement patterns. When you get in the batter's box and see a FB coming at you, you will often resort to a particular movement pattern ... and much of that is determined by one's pre-swing activities ... that is, the actual swing is quite easy to replicate (that goes for a 'good' or 'bad' swing) ... the swing itself is a piece of cake ... the reality is that much of the struggle is in the loading phase of the swing. And to be clear ... much of the pre-swing activities that take place, that actual influence the outcome, begin to take shape prior to you actually seeing the FB coming at you. In other words ... many people don't train within a wide enough scope to truly capture changing one's movement pattern.

Performing a drill is one thing. Embedding what a drill is meant to advocate into one's movement pattern is another thing.

When your daughter performs drills ... she is in control of what her brain is focusing on.

IMO, A good swing should be treated like a delicate instrument and anything not intended to improve or maintain it should be avoided if at all possible. Exaggerating a movement during a drill to isolate a feel is fine, but "swinging down" represents a major movement pattern alteration from the HLBB ideal. Look at the best hitters in the world, can you name one that doesn't go into a slump, which is a result of a mechanical and/or mental breakdown? They can be red hot one week and turn around and seemingly without explanation immediately be as cold as ice for the next three weeks. It usually isn't a change in movement pattern, but rather a timing or synchronization issue. However, a lack of success (i.e., hits), whether it be due to bad luck or slop creeping into the mechanics, can easily end up becoming a mental issue (i.e., lack of confidence) and the problem can get compounded. There's a difference between doing a drill to incorporate a feel or focus on a certain part of your swing. But there's no upside to mess around with a swing pattern that is drastically different. When I was in BB season and screwing around playing wiffleball or rec softball, I hit opposite handed because I didn't want to risk mess up my mechanics or timing. God forbid if I were superstitous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA