Biting tongue at HS-run clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I appreciate the opportunity the local HS gives each spring to our local rec league. It's a fundraiser for their program to have our girls come out and they even give our coaches a no-cost clinic which is a tremendous gift, especially for the less experienced coaches who need all the instruction we can get. It's good for the girls to get out onto the fields together before practices begin.

Although I was very confident in the fielding instruction the girls received, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when the HS team's assistant coach told the girls they want to 'roll their hands over' at the point of contact. She said they need to 'squish the bug' and told them not to use the 'palm up/palm down'.

I know all coaches have different philosophies, but I'm opposed to 'squish the bug' because young players will think about that and just pivot their foot for the sake of pivoting, not as a part of finishing the swing. As far as 'palm up/palm down', I've learned that from my daughter's hitting instructor and she's worked hard to get Mojo to stop rolling over, which is what most young players will do automatically, especially if league coaches have drummed the natural athleticism out of their swings while Dad sat quietly on the sidelines to avoid being 'that parent'.

I want there to be a long-lasting working partnership between the rec league and the local high school, but I think the both programs would benefit by updating some of the teaching philosophies.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is why we quit going to hitting camps at 12U. ( sad to say but one was a D1 camp ) They wanted to uniform all the batters into one style. Both times it took me weeks to undo the garbage they filled DD's head with. Buyer beware!!

Oct 19, 2009
As another poster on the board that I met in person last weekend advised it is a constant battle. You educate yourself on good mechanics to help your kid, and then someone teaches them poor mechanics on a team or either a coach. In our area there are some coaches who teach some really bad mechanics and insist you practice and use them.

It is frustrating, hitting is hard enough without putting droughts in a hitters head with incorrect instruction.

Jan 24, 2011
Definitely a constant battle and hard to bite my tongue. Middle School Coach (Guidance Counselor) , told me that my DD was placed on the JV team instead of Varsity due to the fact that she was "resistant" to change her swing from the way her private hitting coach does things to the way they want them done.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Middle School Coach (Guidance Counselor) , told me that my DD was placed on the JV team instead of Varsity due to the fact that she was "resistant" to change her swing from the way her private hitting coach does things to the way they want them done.

Cyclone, they call this "dumbing down" don't they? The proof is in the pudding. The only thing I can say is to give an analogy. When in basic training, we had a young team leader who told everyone that if their rifle was shooting to the right, to move their back "peep sight" further to the right. I told him no, this will only make them shoot further to the right. For the next 30 minutes everyone kept missing their targets more and more. Being a ranch kid from Montana, I of course ignored him and after two shots was nailing the bulls-eye. Then people started asking me what do do. Of course that didn't endear me to the team leader, but at least everyone was prepared to go to the scoring phase at the rifle range.

If your daughter performs, people will start to ask why. And many may not know why they are performing better, but they will be able to see that DD "looks different", and is successful! The down side is that conformative ignorance drags the "collective" down.

Jan 24, 2011
It has really disheartened my DD. She knows that she is one of the best 12 players out there , but wont get to play on Varsity. The coach also told me that being on JV would allow her "to get more experience" , even though she is 1 of the only 2 TB players that tried out and has played 200+ games over the past 2 years and she played every inning of every game on the JV last year (as a 6th grader) for this same coach.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
It has really disheartened my DD. She knows that she is one of the best 12 players out there , but wont get to play on Varsity. The coach also told me that being on JV would allow her "to get more experience" , even though she is 1 of the only 2 TB players that tried out and has played 200+ games over the past 2 years and she played every inning of every game on the JV last year (as a 6th grader) for this same coach.

I think it was Dale Carnegie who suggested that leaders who are a "10", too often hire 8s and 9s beneath them. Someone who is a "10" might be a threat to their sense of worth and security!

I think this might be the case. Your DD's skills might be out of his realm of comprehension, and this is a threat to his status. Your DD will probably raise eyebrows by proving him wrong, and then they will question his judgement. And they should! Do you dumb down your daughter, or maintain course, so he doesn't guide her onto the "reef" and capsize her future? My vote is with you!

Jan 24, 2011
Both of the coaches on this team are actually female. I believe that assistant coach (the coach in question) feels a little intimidated due to the fact that my DD knows quite a bit more about the game than she does. So , she often tries to prove her authority. Really frustrating for my DD. Does she just do it "their" way even though she knows it is incorrect ? Or , do we fight this battle all school ball season and then probably again next year when DD is in 8th grade?

Oct 19, 2009
Someone posted this when a kid was stressed because she was cut from her HS team. I did not put the poster name down so I don't remember who it was. I did make a copy and give to my daughter because I though it was very inspiring. Below is a copy.

CycloneSoftball22 tell her to keep up her spirit something like this can build character.

Good luck to her!

When others “behaviors” ….are such that they are demeaning or degrading you …it is about them, not you. Never let how someone else acts (what they say or do)… effect your self confidence or how you perceive yourself. NEVER!

Nobody knows what you are capable of…this year, next year or anywhere in the future. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY!

Knowing that… you must understand this…there are a lot of people that would rather see you fail than succeed because then you would be more like them. There are a lot of people that want you to question yourself because they question themselves. There are a lot of people that make themselves feel better by making others feel less than. There are a lot of people that want to bring you down …so you are on their level. You will run across this…. at school, in sport, work, friendships etc…in every context of life you can think of.

Yet…You have CHOICE in how you act to a situation. You may not have all the resources at your age to know what those choices are…but they are there. That is where communicating with your parents, faculty, friends, coaches and etc come in. Someone will know a way to help… to change the situation AND/OR give you choice on how you choose to act in regards to that kind of situation.

You can also LEARN from that experience. You may be learning how to be a leader…. by recognizing that when people demean others…you can give them encouragement. When people can’t stand up for themselves…you can stand up for them. When people don’t seem to have choices…you can help them find choices.

It’s too bad you were cut from high school ball…sounds like they needed you for more than just softball at that school…….the fact that you wouldn’t want others to experience that same thing……you could of possibly changed the environment of your high school softball program for the better and for future girls.

Your dedication and level of play can be exemplary to other so keep up the good work.

Jan 24, 2011
One funny note that did come from this: In the last practice the coaches intermingled the JV and Varsity players for a scrimmage. In this particular scrimmage , my DD was put at 3B (not her regular position) and a Varsity player at 1B (my DD position). Well , the first two balls were hit to my DD who fielded them and threw to 1B. The Varsity 1B missed them both (the second one actually hit her in the mouth)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA