Bill Hillhouse interview

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
I have a 12 year old that I have worked with for a little over a year. She throws heat for 12. Easily between 55 and 58.
She whips and brushes and throws hard. However, because her release is brush timed, she struggles with a consistent palm and finger position at release to consistently generate the right trajectory and spin for a fast peel drop. She may pitch a few down with topspin and then some pitches will be up like a low rise. Most are in or close to the strike zone. Both are fast. Mr. Hillhouse talks about the timing of the release for the peel. I don't disagree with what he is saying, I just don't know how to explain this or accomplish what he is saying as it relates to a brush release. Obviously her hand and finger positions at release are inconsistent. any ideas?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I have a 12 year old that I have worked with for a little over a year. She throws heat for 12. Easily between 55 and 58.
She whips and brushes and throws hard. However, because her release is brush timed, she struggles with a consistent palm and finger position at release to consistently generate the right trajectory and spin for a fast peel drop. She may pitch a few down with topspin and then some pitches will be up like a low rise. Most are in or close to the strike zone. Both are fast. Mr. Hillhouse talks about the timing of the release for the peel. I don't disagree with what he is saying, I just don't know how to explain this or accomplish what he is saying as it relates to a brush release. Obviously her hand and finger positions at release are inconsistent. any ideas?
Have you focused on her spine angle at release? The brush contact should be happening in the same spot at the same time on every pitch. That said, if she is tilted back more than two or three degrees of vertical that will lower her release point and the ball will have a more upward release angle—which is more appropriate for the rise. Getting close to vertical at release for the drop will slightly raise her release point and the ball will come out flatter and then gravity and spin have a better chance to do their thing.

I think it is very difficult to tell someone to “release early” when the movement is so fast and dynamic and, again, you should be releasing the ball at brush contact. I think it is easier to explain to a kid that you want them to stand as tall as they can or that you want them to try to touch their face against the imaginary wall in front of them at release.

The fastball bounce drill should help with this. Have her drive off the rubber and try to bounce her fastball into the ground about 10 to 15’ in front of her. Have her do it several times and then have her throw her drop and see if it helps. Has helped my DD with her drop, which very much remains a work in progress.

Apr 28, 2014
I loved the portion about hello elbow versus internal rotation.
Great explanation Bill!

Aug 21, 2008
Lest anyone think I'm actually 400 lbs and doing a Jabba the Hut impersonation on the camera. It's just the way I was sitting on my bed (slouched over) and wearing a red shirt that makes me look exceptionally fat. lol. Like most, I think I gained a solid 25 lbs during the last few months but, I looked hideous in this video. This hasn't been COVID 19 for me, it's COVID 25-30 (as in 30 lbs) for my weight gain.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Lest anyone think I'm actually 400 lbs and doing a Jabba the Hut impersonation on the camera. It's just the way I was sitting on my bed (slouched over) and wearing a red shirt that makes me look exceptionally fat. lol. Like most, I think I gained a solid 25 lbs during the last few months but, I looked hideous in this video. This hasn't been COVID 19 for me, it's COVID 25-30 (as in 30 lbs) for my weight gain.

I don’t think anyone thinks any less of you based on a bad angle of you in a baggy t shirt in bad lighting on a zoom meeting. The information and input you provided is always pure gold. It is always a pleasure hearing your input regarding pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish