Biases in All Star Selections Park Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Second year of 10U rec DD was not selected to AS Gold Team. Surprised everyone as DD's team placed first and she had the best record of all 10U pitchers. Head Coach and Assistant Coach's DD were also pitchers and having DD on the team would have placed them in the awkward position of having their precious DD's compete for circle time. DD was sent off to the Silver Team. Long story short. Gold team makes state (not difficult as the top 4 teams in each district went to state and our district only had 4 teams that year). Head Coaches DD "hurt" her shoulder and cant' pitch (that and she went something like 0 for gazillion in AS games). He calls and asks if DD can pitch at state. DD pitches two games and wins both. Assistant coaches DD pitched two and lost both.

Now I want to make one point very clear. As much as I was tempted to say "I told you so", I did not and I kept my mouth shut during State and everyday since. Why? Small town and my DD will be playing with these two girls throughout HS. Burning a bridge, no matter how good it would feel in the moment, would serve no long term purpose.

Feb 3, 2011
This is 8u. They only ever get to play two games really because its best of 3. So actually we are better off not spending that extra money on uniforms, bags, socks, etc. for just 2 games.
Sounds like you're the lucky one! :)

All the head coaches' kids were selected in our league, but 1 didn't make it until the 3rd vote. Only 1 asst coach's DD made it. Our AS head coach is extremely competitive and these girls have learned a lot already since practices began. Going into the selection process, he made it clear that he only wanted the best girls in the league on the team, and everyone was cool with that. We select 14 so that the alternates are built into the roster. 12 players made it unanimously and then he and his assistant made the final 2 selections. Only 1 spot was really contested, and he went with the 10yo over the 9yo in that case because of age and the fact he'd coached her last winter.

I don't think there can be any complaints when the 12 best players make the team, but if your AS coaches and your league aren't competitive, then you end up with situations like you described. I hope it doesn't turn off your player from trying again next year. :)

Apr 1, 2010
I would take my DD and send her to the best college summer camp, that you can. She will learn more there, than at All Stars.

A little off-topic, but DD is VERY excited that she gets to go to the MU SB camp next week. I'm a bit irked that I didn't find out until Wednesday afternoon that KU didn't get enough campers for their residence camp. Wednesday, naturally, was the day that MU's late registration fee went up from $25 to $50. Or finding out before there was a late fee at all would have been really good. Murphy's Law, I guess.

Feb 3, 2011
Second year of 10U rec DD was not selected to AS Gold Team. Surprised everyone as DD's team placed first and she had the best record of all 10U pitchers. Head Coach and Assistant Coach's DD were also pitchers and having DD on the team would have placed them in the awkward position of having their precious DD's compete for circle time. DD was sent off to the Silver Team. Long story short. Gold team makes state (not difficult as the top 4 teams in each district went to state and our district only had 4 teams that year). Head Coaches DD "hurt" her shoulder and cant' pitch (that and she went something like 0 for gazillion in AS games). He calls and asks if DD can pitch at state. DD pitches two games and wins both. Assistant coaches DD pitched two and lost both.

Now I want to make one point very clear. As much as I was tempted to say "I told you so", I did not and I kept my mouth shut during State and everyday since. Why? Small town and my DD will be playing with these two girls throughout HS. Burning a bridge, no matter how good it would feel in the moment, would serve no long term purpose.

To me, that's crazy. No matter how many hands need to be greased, there's no way I'd take a team that didn't have the best players available. If Gold team gets to fill its roster first, you'd better believe I'm taking the league's 3 best pitchers to represent us.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06