Beyond frustrated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I am not sure how old your dd is but appears to be 13 14 15?? I think at this age they really need only one instruction and try to get the feel and understanding on their own. Maybe she goes to lessons and tries to work on what is being taught at home instead of listening to her coach mom and dad. Tell dad to catch (THATS IT). You watch and give positive reinforcement at home.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
We can mail you some extra large zip ties. The next time he sits down in front of the computer zip tie him to the chair and bring up the DFP pitching forum stickys. When his eyes start to fall out of his head and his brain turns to mush from all the information then ask him if he believes. If he won't keep his eyes open you can always duct tape them open. Just be sure to keep them moist. ;)

Seriously... Your DD looks to be old enough to make some of her own decisions. Maybe it's time for her to say something.
That probably would be the only way that he would actually read anything
She is 16 and does do a lot of research on her own…she watches games, take notes…she used to take notes after her own games on things that she though she could improve. She watches instructional videos but like we all know, not everything out there is correct. I try to warn her about this, telling her that anyone can post a youtube video…that doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I am not sure how old your dd is but appears to be 13 14 15?? I think at this age they really need only one instruction and try to get the feel and understanding on their own. Maybe she goes to lessons and tries to work on what is being taught at home instead of listening to her coach mom and dad. Tell dad to catch (THATS IT). You watch and give positive reinforcement at home.

Only way that dad won't talk is duct taping his mouth shut….She is 16.
I usually watch, video and then go back and watch it in slow motion and frame by frame to try to pick up on any flaws. A lot of time, I send updated videos to Rick Pauly to also get his input…and have posted here for advice..Only then, do I offer any input. When she is pitching, I don't say anything.
I think that is the most aggravating aspect…I do the work to learn,by reading, asking the questions…watch frame by frame of not only my daughter but other pitchers to see what they are doing…and even if I do see something that I want to point out to my husband, he just says.."I catch for her and don't have to watch slow motion videos to know what she is doing."…and will not watch it….I feel if I do the work to help her get better, my husband can at least consider my input.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
CB, I get so dang frustrated when I see the poor instruction that is RAMPANT in our area and even on our team. :( I really try to send people info to read and see for themselves that HE is NOT CORRECT. But alas, it's seems so futile. I work with my DD and a couple others to help them see and to try and educate pitcher parents on what to look for.

As far as your DD goes, I'd say the same as the others. Have her talk to him and say that the HE way is a path of destruction! (Insert sarcasm font) but for reals she needs to explain it to him so he knows she knows.

Best of luck!

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Here is a good example of videos on youtube by a "noted coach and college player" that my daughter and husband had watched to learn about pitching…with over 400k views…:rolleyes::confused:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T4Q8D_WV7sc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sep 28, 2015
We all feel your frustration...... The best way that I sum up my reasoning for why I disagree with the "experts" at the ballpark is this: Isn't it strange that I, an athletic male adult with years of coach pitch (HE) experience am not able to throw as fast as my 10 yr old DD? It made sense to the 10 yr old :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221