Beyond frustrated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I deleted the original post because when I wrote it, I actually wanted to throat punch my husband for paying $40 on a lesson that did not address the big concern…her illegal crow hop and knee pain caused as a result of poor drive mechanics.
The issue is bigger than just one instructor but actually really common in our area…Why? Because that is what was taught to them/or their daughter which was taught to them and so forth and so on…
Then you go to youtube and watch videos that only add to this problem…then these videos get shared…and so forth and so on.

It shouldn't be acceptable to allow girls to continue to be illegal with their pitching but it has gotten so bad that umps don't want to call it…they know it is wrong.

When I go to a softball tournament, I hear the fathers and coaches instructing their kids…follow their pitch, finish elbow high, walk out of your pitch, create a path for your body…and I cringe every time…because I see the girls face light up because they are excited about learning to pitch.
Then I see girl after girl warming up with wrist snaps…the explanation…it helps to spin the ball…When I respond with, I though you fingers is what spend the ball…it is the only physical part of your body that touches the ball…your wrist isn't touching the ball…Then the response I get is" that was how I was taught"…So, you never asked why? Just did it because you were told?
Then, every once in awhile, I see that girl that explodes off the mound, getting good brush contact, using internal rotational and dominate the competition…everyone stops to watch this girl….
Why can't more of our girls be that girl….with the right instruction, they can be.
I still want to throat punch my husband though…that hasn't changed any.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Pitching--bringing parents closer to their divorce lawyers for 100 years!

Too funny…only in a pitchers family will arguments be from hello elbow…But really, someone needs to tell him that he has to come home with me…not the hello elbow, no forward lean, slam the door, no brush contact person….push the ball male instructor who does not cook his dinner for him every night…some one will be sleeping in the dog house.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Crystal aren't you seeing Rick Pauly for pitching??

Yes…My husband insist that we continue to see this local guy. He believes he is teaching the same thing that Rick Pauly is teaching. This was my daughter before working Rick Pauly ..I will let you be the judge if this is the same teaching principles..Sorry for the bad camera angle…was just being noob…:p
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vYzWV9smd5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
We have spent the past several days working on getting the lean to engage the drive…and now, right back to where she was….looking stiff again. She is so confused right now…and I don't blame her.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not all poor instruction is all bad, you're learning additional ways how NOT to do something. This has validated what coach Pauly is teaching.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Does your husband come on here and research How to pitch? If he doesn't, what makes him the authority on pitching in the household? You need to put your foot down and let him know, you know what your doing and if he wants to screw up her success then by all means keep going to two different coaches teaching two different things.

My dd has been to every coach in this area, it didn't help it just made her confused and doubt herself, too much info from to many people can hinder.

If you know she's confused and you know why, then put a stop to it. Hope that didn't come across mean? I just feel passionate about it, and I can imagine how you feel cuz just reading that makes me want to poke your hubby in the eye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Does your husband come on here and research How to pitch? If he doesn't, what makes him the authority on pitching in the household? You need to put your foot down and let him know, you know what your doing and if he wants to screw up her success then by all means keep going to two different coaches teaching two different things.

My dd has been to every coach in this area, it didn't help it just made her confused and doubt herself, too much info from to many people can hinder.

If you know she's confused and you know why, then put a stop to it. Hope that didn't come across mean? I just feel passionate about it, and I can imagine how you feel cuz just reading that makes me want to poke your hubby in the eye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The poke in the eye was the best comment I read all day…Does he come here and read? No, I have asked him to come to the board to read…he says he don't have the time.
I think worse part of this is not necessary just the instructor but what type of instruction that is acceptable to teach our girls. My should know that something is wrong with her drive when she has been complaining about knee pain…and how was she taught? I recently had an interesting conversation with the umpire recently, he said that most of the girls pitch illegally with the crow hop but since it is so common, it will only slow the game if they call it. Why is this acceptable? I am by no means a pitching instructor but I do try to learn…When I first started posting on this board, I though my daughters mechanic looked great…this is what she learned, she was throwing strikes…Why? Because I didn't know any better…my husband don't know any better but unlike me, he has not try to learn…now, he is a lot smarter than when we started out.

Nov 29, 2009
I have asked him to come to the board to read…he says he don't have the time.

We can mail you some extra large zip ties. The next time he sits down in front of the computer zip tie him to the chair and bring up the DFP pitching forum stickys. When his eyes start to fall out of his head and his brain turns to mush from all the information then ask him if he believes. If he won't keep his eyes open you can always duct tape them open. Just be sure to keep them moist. ;)

Seriously... Your DD looks to be old enough to make some of her own decisions. Maybe it's time for her to say something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood