Best video angle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2011
What would be the best angle to get when videoing a pitcher?

I work for a security camera development company and I have a 720p/60 camera to work with. I can set shutter priority. It's an IP camera so the video goes straight into my PC. The main problem is setup. I hoping to get good video in a gym with poor lighting. I can only get one angle at a time as time doesn't permit me moving the setup.

I know I should get side and back but with time constraints this doesn't allow getting both on the same night. So if you had to only get one angle of the pitcher what would that be? Side? Back? something in between, say 45 degrees between back and side?

Oh, the other problem I don't have an adjustable tripod. The only tripod I have has the camera of the ground about 3 to 4 inches. I guess I could set it on a chair.

So what say you? :D

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Three angles are probably best and either zoomed or shot from up close:
-From the front or back
-directly from the side
-about 45 degrees to the front/side

Option three if that's all you have time for.

(Corrected the typo--thanks JS!)

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
From what I have read the side shot is the better angle to see just about everything other than arm circle angle. I think you should be ok with that unless asked for another view.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
all three, but if you have to choose then choose the angle that best fits what you want to discuss.

Whip- arm position and hand/ball positions (side view)
side to side issues with posture/foot placement etc- (Back view)
Front to back issues with posture/foot placement etc (side view)

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
In general, I like the vantage pont taken from the front, 45d off-axis to the ball-side.
But a straight-on from behind is also a very revealing and useful look.

Sep 10, 2013
from the bucket dad/mom's view:

maskcamera (1 of 1)-2.jpg

yep, a little dangerous for the camera, but what better reason to get a new one? :)

Jan 18, 2011
FastPitchCat - that looks like the little tripod I have.

The easiest setup in the gym is the side view. There is a stack of tables or something off to the side that I can sit the camera on. So I'll guess I can start there. I can get the front/side but then I'll be on the floor looking up. That might be a neat angle though.

Sep 10, 2013
here's a side-view from Amanda scarborough. nice explanation on her lower-body mechanics

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors